Bundesheer Beret Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
    Team - Great discussion. Keep the obscure details and minutiae coming!
    Great item, Thomas!

I don't know, if I shall post this little episode, because once again I have no picture showing this particular beret in wear, but you asked for more.

In 1998 the same unit had a couple of live firings and exercises at the training area BAUMHOLDER. One (very dark) night, I talked to some FDC personal in a gun position, when a soldier passed by, wearing a rather unusual headgear, that I hadn't seen before.
    Everybody in the gun position wore a helmet except - my driver, Hauptgefreiter M.! When he noticed me, he tried to change his headgear but it was too late. First I couldn't believe my eyes, then we had a very unilateral, short and intense talk. (I think he wore his helmet freely non-stop for the rest of this week.)
    HG M. was a great guy. One of the best drivers and a real comrade, we have had much fun these days. When he left the Bw, he gave me this beret as a reminder.
    So here it is, a real Arty-SOCOM-Delta-Driver-Hauptgefreiter-Barett, worn at Baumholder, believe it or not.

Lars

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/al...6462303431.jpg
    http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/al...6633376666.jpg
    Last edited by Proud Kraut; 09-20-2011, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Lars - Great story!

The beret in the picture below is one of my most cherished military posessions.
      It was given to me after I became an honorary member of 5.Kompanie/Panzergrenadierbataillon342.

Hauptfeldwebel Stadt made the presentation after a rather beer soaked ceremony in Grafenwohr. Hauptfeldwebel Stadt was so strong that he could pull the radiator out of the engine compartment of an M-113G with no assistance. His arms were bigger than my legs and he had a red beard.

One time I asked him why the silhouette of the Marder was so high. Without missing a beat he replied, "because the snow in Russia is so deep."

I'll never forget Baumholder; we called it "the rock". One day during a field exercise I noticed that the safety pin in the hatch of the driver's compartment had come free. Just as I told the driver to stop, he hit a hole and the hatch went forward. I caught it just in time but I hyper-extended the thumb on my left hand doing so. It still bothers me sometimes; a permanent souvenier of "the rock".

Horrido!

TJ
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
        Lars,

Interesting comment. I have never seen a photo of an enlisted man or NCO wearing a beret with an embroidered badge. Just officers.

Regards,

Gordon
        I did...
        And I was "only" Gefreiter / Private.
        And I never got any negative comment from my "Spiess" or Oberleutnant.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
          Lars - Great story!

The beret in the picture below is one of my most cherished military posessions.
          It was given to me after I became an honorary member of 5.Kompanie/Panzergrenadierbataillon342.

Hauptfeldwebel Stadt made the presentation after a rather beer soaked ceremony in Grafenwohr. Hauptfeldwebel Stadt was so strong that he could pull the radiator out of the engine compartment of an M-113G with no assistance. His arms were bigger than my legs and he had a red beard.

One time I asked him why the silhouette of the Marder was so high. Without missing a beat he replied, "because the snow in Russia is so deep."

I'll never forget Baumholder; we called it "the rock". One day during a field exercise I noticed that the safety pin in the hatch of the driver's compartment had come free. Just as I told the driver to stop, he hit a hole and the hatch went forward. I caught it just in time but I hyper-extended the thumb on my left hand doing so. It still bothers me sometimes; a permanent souvenier of "the rock".

Horrido!

TJ
          TJ, What is the badge on the right pocket... kind of looks like the Mountain Troops badge, but I am sure it is not.

John

Comment

Hi John - It's a subdued version of the Einzelkämpferabzeichen. You may be more used to seeing the more commonly encountered full color version.

I grabbed this image from the Trophy Shop website.

All the best - TJ
            Attached Files

Comment

usmedalman,

I'd like to add some information to what TJ had to say about this badge. There is a thread on this badge we did a short time ago but here is a brief explanation.
              This badge is awarded for passing a course similar to, but not the same, as that completed by U.S. army Rangers. The course has two parts. Satisfactory completion of the first part of the course allows you to wear this badge but it only has one oak leaf on it. It is not necessary for you to take the second part of the course, they are actually two separate courses, but if you complete part two successfully then you get to wear this badge with two oak leaves.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by jonni View Post
                I did...
                And I was "only" Gefreiter / Private.
                And I never got any negative comment from my "Spiess" or Oberleutnant.
                Hi jonni. I think In fact nobody cares, what type of beret insignia you are wearing, if you don't put too many pins and flags etc. at your beret, lol.

Lars

Comment

Originally posted by Proud Kraut View Post
                  Hi jonni. I think In fact nobody cares, what type of beret insignia you are wearing, if you don't put too many pins and flags etc. at your beret, lol.

Lars
                  That seems right.
                  I wore my Jg. Eichenlaub for ages altough I am serving in a Pz.Gren.Btl.

When I have got my Pz.Gren. ATN I have replaced the insignia.

Cheers,
                  Philipp

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X