And so my obessession takes form...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And so my obessession takes form...

You truly can find anything on ebay. I managed to bag 2nd 50's BW item but my first tunic. I bought it for 309 euros, was it worth the money i paid??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The only thing missing from it is the shoulder pips.

Kleppang - Congratulations on your purchase.

While I'm not up on my European prices, I do know that yours is a very desireable tunic. I'm sure someone we'll be along soon to give you a better answer.

I will say that older Bundeswehr items are rapidly appreciating in value and are hard to come by. Even if this purchase was a little steep, I'm sure your investment will prove sound in the near future.

Your tunic dates back to the very founding of the Bundeswehr. It is seen here in this c. 1956 photo.

All the best - TJ
    Attached Files

Comment

Here are some pictures of Kleppang's purchase.
      Attached Files

Comment

The award threads seem to indicate that the owner was a World War II veteran.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Kleppang,

a nice early uniform. It should be a former LTC, because I can see two holes for the pips?

Hi TJ.

where I can find the source for the picture? I'm very interested in it, because it is a picture from the first official presentation of the uniforms for the Streitkräfte in (August?) 1955 (Streitkräfte or Wehrmacht, the name Bundeswehr came a bit later).

Uwe

Comment

The item arrived in the post the other day and its a truely beatiful item indeed and i believe it was worth what paid for it overall. I hope this is the first of many items i hope to collect.

Hi speedytop, I knew that the bundeswehr didnt get its name on its formation. What it i didnt know was what it was called up until then. Was the title wehrmacht used???

Comment

Originally posted by speedytop View Post
              Hi Kleppang,

a nice early uniform. It should be a former LTC, because I can see two holes for the pips?

Hi TJ.

where I can find the source for the picture? I'm very interested in it, because it is a picture from the first official presentation of the uniforms for the Streitkräfte in (August?) 1955 (Streitkräfte or Wehrmacht, the name Bundeswehr came a bit later).

Uwe

Uwe,

I thought you posted it originally...

The logo looks like "dpa - bildarchiv". Can the real photo poster please chime in?

Thanks - TJ

Comment

Hi Kleppang,

"Was the title wehrmacht used???"

Both names, Wehrmacht and Streitkräfte (Militär), are normal used names for forces of a country.

The name Wehrmacht is existent before 1935, please see "Origin and use of the term":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wehrmacht

In a lexikon from 1955 you can find the keyword Wehrmacht and there "neue Streitkräfte" (new forces).
                In later editions you can find the same keyword Wehrmacht, but now instead of "neue Streitkräfte" the word Bundeswehr.

Uwe

Comment

Congratulation to your purchase ! Its a very nice and special tunic...

...and yes, the price is also a special price...and you beat me with less then 10,- €

Those two pocket tunics are relatively rare but turn up from time to time. The "normal" price is around 100,- ... but this is due to the fact that most of them are stripped from their collar tabs, even the metallic piping, moth demaged .... So this one is very special as it has its original piping, periode aplied collar tabs of a general staff officer and loops for ribbon bars ... and it seems to be in a good condition!

This jacket only could be beaten by a generals tunic of this time!

Regards,

Jens

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
                    Kleppang - Congratulations on your purchase.

While I'm not up on my European prices, I do know that yours is a very desireable tunic. I'm sure someone we'll be along soon to give you a better answer.

I will say that older Bundeswehr items are rapidly appreciating in value and are hard to come by. Even if this purchase was a little steep, I'm sure your investment will prove sound in the near future.

Your tunic dates back to the very founding of the Bundeswehr. It is seen here in this c. 1956 photo.

All the best - TJ
                    I am just curious; is the second man from left wearing something that resembles a camuflage suit like the "Liebermunster"-pattern..?..

Comment

The Leibermuster-uniform was a prototype made in Blegium for the then planned European Defense Forces (Europäische Verteidigungsgemeinschaft, in short EVG).

But the uniform never was introduced. The Belgium Army used a variation of the British Denision camo, the Bundeswehr the M56 splintercamo.

The first model canteen with the plastic cup and upper also was a part of the EVG-equipment.

Comment

Frank - Is this the field flask you are referring to? I didn't realize it was part of the EVG, but always wondered why early Soldiers carried at least two different kinds of canteens. Now it makes sense.

All the best - TJ
                        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice jacket! I think the price paid is quite high, but these days pretty much nothing surprises me with the 1950s stuff. Supply is very low, demand is very high. Therefore, the prices have been going through the roof very quickly. Bad for buyers, great for sellers!

Here's a thread I made in another forum about the BW Leibermuster uniform. This one is from my collection.

http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t640-wes...5-leibermuster

Steve

Comment

Army surplus shop purchase

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
                            Very nice jacket! I think the price paid is quite high, but these days pretty much nothing surprises me with the 1950s stuff. Supply is very low, demand is very high. Therefore, the prices have been going through the roof very quickly. Bad for buyers, great for sellers!

Here's a thread I made in another forum about the BW Leibermuster uniform. This one is from my collection.

http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t640-wes...5-leibermuster

Steve
                            It is still possible to find very reasonably priced 50's Bundeswehr kit in Army surplus shops, where I got most of mine.
                            My most recent purchase was a 1956 Affenjacke with 1963 oberfeldwebel insignia, bought at an army surplus shop in the Military Odyssey show two weeks ago for the princely sum of £30.00!
                            I would post pictures, but am not sure how to do so as an IT illiterate associate member!

Comment

Welcome! I envy your ability to find things at reasonable prices. There's very, very little of this sort of stuff in the US to stumble upon. Affenjacke prices on eBay are routinely over EUR 100 even for jackets with issues (moth holes, missing badging, wrong badging, etc).

Best advice for posting here is to open up a free account with some place like PhotoBucket or Flickr. Easy to do. After uploading an image there you simply post the URL with correct "tags". Often these services offer you a way to copy an already tagged URL for your picture. The tags are little bits of coded text to tell the forum software what to do. I don't think I can show you it assembled because the forum software would get all confused But here's an attempt:

[IMG] put in your full HTML link here [/IMG]

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X