Need help: is it buendesmarine or KM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partisan,

I was away from home when I identified your uniform as Bundesmarine. I was aware that the tags looked like WWII German and that a uniform like this was worn in the KM but the stamps and labels didn't look right to me for the KM period. The KM stamps posted by the other WAF member are more like what I would expect to see in a KM uniform.
    The early BM did wear a uniform almost exactly like the KM and I have posted pictures of the BM uniform below. I am not an expert on KM uniforms and if the guys on the WAF who know these uniforms say if is KM then it probably is. I looked for a good reference for the KM uniform in "Kreigsmarine uniforms and Traditions" by Angolia and Schlicht but their pictures are not good enough for a positive ID. Sorry if my comments were misleading. I don't claim to be an "expert" (whatever that is) in either KM or BM uniforms and I made an educated guess based on past experience.
    Steve is correct on the markings in BM uniforms and I failed to take that into consideration.
    Thanks for posting the additional pictures of your uniform and giving me a chance to comment on it.

Regards,

Gordon
    Attached Files

Comment

Partisan,

I have been going through my KM reference material looking at markings in KM uniforms. I've posted some pictures below on KM markings taken from Angolia and Schluchts book mentioned above. Because the pictured markings are the only markings mentioned in the book that doesn't mean they are the only possible markings. Just the ones listed in regulations. The paper tags on your uniform indicate that it was never issued so there would be no sailors name sewn inside like is shown in the previous illustrated markings or in these pictures.
      One thing that was common in military uniforms in TR times was glass buttons. The buttons on your uniform appear to be made of glass. I do not know if the Reichsmarine used glass buttons or not.

Regards,

Gordon
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Gordon,
        sorry for the delay, but I have saw only now your answer!
        Thank you very much for your comment!
        At this point I must think that alls work uniform (exactly like mine) with BAW or BAK stamp, can be fake...
        Is it possible that BM used advanced uniform from Reichmarine? Have you some photo where I can see this uniform used by BM saylors? B
        I ask this, because I have saw many photo, but the color of BM work uniform was more dark or without the pocket.
        Please, excuse for my bad english and thank you again for your comment

Partisan

Comment

Originally posted by SprogCollector View Post
          Hi Partisan,
          The 1951 photo cannot be Bundesmarine since the Federal Navy was not created until 1955. As already noted, these sailors appear to be East Germans .
          You are 100% correct. The photo is East German, but they are not even Volksmarine but members of the FDJ, the Frei Deutche Jungen (pardon me if I have mis-spelled that). Also note the cap tally is for Wilhelm Pieck, a noted member of the Communist Party and DDR President.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X