Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown BRD visor - what could it be?

Hi there,

I recently purchased an unidentified piece of headgear off of eBay. It had authentic (!) TR insignias attached and some black wool applied to the band to make it look like a Wehrmacht officer's cap.
    I removed the aforementioned "embellishments" and ended up with this:

It is obviously a BRD cap (as evidenced by the construction traits and what is left of the interior markings, not to mention the circular outline where the bullseye used to be), but what exactly?
    Maybe police or customs of some sort?

Mõmmi,

Hard to tell what the orignal insignia was with all of the holes in the front of the cap. I do not think it is polizei. They tend to have a darker cap band in these early hats. I agree that it is post war and markings see to indicate an Elkaro made cap. The colour looks to be bright green on my screen. Is it really that colour?
    Customs hats usually have a cap body and cap band of a slightly different colour of green with another different colour of green around the crown of the cap and above and below the cap band. There is no consistant colour range in the customs hats that I have but since they are all made by different companies that doesn't surprise me. The closest guess I would make would be customs but it is almost impossible to know for sure.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
      The colour looks to be bright green on my screen. Is it really that colour?
      Gordon,

You are correct. It is a fairly light green.
      Just for the sake of comparison, here's the mystery cap
      (I couldn't resist putting a bullseye on it!) next to a BGS visor from roughly the same era.

Comment

Mõmmi,

Thanks for the comparison pictures. I have nothing like this in my collection. I am afraid it will have to remain a mystery hat for now.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Time to resurrect this thread.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Saarland-Schi...item3cbcc50f5c

I came across this listing while browsing ebay.de...
          Looks like the mystery is solved.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X