Bundeswehr Cammo net systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bundeswehr Cammo net systems

Am researching the cammouflage nest systems used by the Bundeswehr through the 1970`s and 1980`s in order to be as accurate as possible for my Living history displays this Summer.

To the best of my knowledge:

1970`s
    nets - intermittent irregular sections of plastic textured material (scrim) attached to cord nets
    poles - aluminium
    spreaders - steel arms with web spreader straps

1980`s
    nets - cord nets, completely covered with plastic textured material (heavier than equivalently sized 1970`s versions)
    poles - GRP
    spreaders - same as 1970`s

In both cases - one side coloured green and black, the other earth, green and black

Multiple nets were joined along the edges using special cords with fittings which connected with the metal rings fixed around the net borders.

Could someone possibly clarify techniques / procedures used to erect large net structures (having beein in BAOR, am aware that nets were often just draped over vehicles however, am interested in the supported nets)

Thanks

Steve

steve82,

This is an area that I do not beleive we have touched upon before. Relatively little comment on this forum from reenactors so perhaps your answer will have to come from one of our ex BW guys. Sorry that I can not help but good luck in your quest.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

We still have U.S. made and old NVA cammo nets in our inventory.
      Honestly, we use everything we have / can get.

Cheers,
      Philipp

Comment

Thanks Phillip - thats very useful to know - especially the use of US nets (the NVA nets presumably being employed post-1990).

Will post my small collection of web-pics shortly. However, any pics of 70`s / 80`s cam nets in use and camp-life in general would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by steve 82 View Post
          Thanks Phillip - thats very useful to know - especially the use of US nets (the NVA nets presumably being employed post-1990).

Will post my small collection of web-pics shortly. However, any pics of 70`s / 80`s cam nets in use and camp-life in general would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve
          You are welcome, Steve.
          I had some personal photos of cam nets in use on my old PC but it went down a few days ago.

Philipp

Comment

As promised, here are some pics of nets in use during the 1970`s - 1980`s BW.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Here are a few images of my 70`s Bundeswehr signals re-enactment at the `War in the Vale` show at Evesham over the 25th/26th June 2011. The net needs a little repair but, overall am happy with the result.

Cheers,

Steve 82

Comment

Nice display.

Anyone know a source for the folding chairs depicted in post #6 (second image)?

N

Comment

Originally posted by Nachrichten View Post
                  Nice display.

Anyone know a source for the folding chairs depicted in post #6 (second image)?

N
                  Nico probably has a crate full some place.

Marc

Comment

Thanks for your comment.

I obtained my chairs from a German dealer - http://www.armeeteile.de/. Whilst their internet site may not always show what you want, they are very industrious and can usually locate a wide range of good quality stuff on your behalf.

For example, over the past few years, in addition to the chairs, have also found the officers tent, cammo netting and supports, thermal boxes (look like fuel cans) and, the grey steel table shown in the same image in post No 6.

All the best

Steve 82

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff View Post
                      Nico probably has a crate full some place.

Marc
                      Sadly I sold all of them. I only have some NVA and British left. An Loads of NVA Tables wich are still in use in the BW. If there is any interest, I'll post a Pic.

Comment

Originally posted by steve 82 View Post
                        Thanks for your comment.

I obtained my chairs from a German dealer - http://www.armeeteile.de/. Whilst their internet site may not always show what you want, they are very industrious and can usually locate a wide range of good quality stuff on your behalf.

For example, over the past few years, in addition to the chairs, have also found the officers tent, cammo netting and supports, thermal boxes (look like fuel cans) and, the grey steel table shown in the same image in post No 6.

All the best

Steve 82
                        Interesting site. Thanks for the 'heads-up'.

N

Comment

Steve 82 - Thanks for the wonderful vintage pictures.

Your vehicle display is, as always, top notch.

All the best - TJ

Comment

Nice thread! May I add some personal pictures from the "Gunner's Housetop". All pictures were taken in the late 1980's, early 1990's. The 105mm pic was taken at Baumholder, the other two at Munster training area. I remember for the FH 70 we used one camo net "Size 3" conected with two camo nets "Size 2".

Lars

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/al...3961326366.jpg
                            http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/al...6461353034.jpg
                            http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/al...3232313933.jpg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X