Timepieces of the Bundeswehr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3. Die Minentaucheruhr - The wristwatch for mine clearance divers;
    These watches used a special antimagnetic (AMAG) 22 jewel movement. Due to the exacting antimagnetic specifications of these watches each one was tested in a special laboratory. Some sources quote the cost of these watches to have been 16,000 Marks each. These exacting specification were to protect the mine removal divers. It was felt that a magnetic field around a magnetized watch could cause the mine to detonate while the diver was working on it. Only 50 were made and they are kept under strictly controlled conditions and will be issued only when absolutely necessary. These watches do use tritium for visibility and thus have the red 3H symbol on the dial face. NSN; 6645-12-199-3503. There is what purports to be one of these watches for sale on the internet at this time for a price of U>S>$11,500.00. It is almost certainly a fake.
    Attached Files

Comment

A view of the mechnism of the AMAG watch.
      Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting thread, and some great watches. I have my uncle's Junghans chronograph from 1943.

Comment

VtwinVince,

Thanks for the kind comments. Nice family history to have your uncle's watch.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

About 20 Years ago, I bought 10 grey, used Flightsuits from Sturm and in one I found a nice Tutima Flight Watch with BUND and NSN. I swaped it some Years ago for my foldable Wehrmacht Mountain Bike, what you can see in the Bikes thread in the Wehrmacht Equipment section.

Comment

Gentlemen,

I am going to bring this old thread to life as there was recent question on the forum about Hanhart watches. Perhaps it will be of assistance to the person with the question.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
              X