Let's talk Unimogs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk Unimogs!

Team - No Bundeswehr Forum would be complete without a discussion of the famous Leopard Tank, and our wide-ranging forum has even discovered a little known Leopard inspired wristwatch (thanks Dave).

But what of the true workhorse of the Bundeswehr, the perennially under appreciated Unimog?

While certainly not as fun to pronounce as "Borgward", the charms of Unimog are far too great to capture with this first post. To kick things off, I've included this picture from the extensive Cullinane Bundeswehr archives and, of course, the obligatory link to the Unimog "wiki"....

Fellow forum members, don't hold back any longer, share with us your ultimate Unimog stories.

All the best - TJ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unimog
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 01-26-2011, 08:09 PM. Reason: additional info

Okay, here is my story: When I joined the Bundeswehr in 1991 we still had some Iltis and Unimog 1,5to in the ranks, the latter as radio vehicles.

The oldest Unimog then was built in 1959!! The old car was completely overhault in 1989, so it was in mint condition and painted in flecktarn camo.

When the engineer Bn was disbanded in 1995 the platoon leader of the signal platoon bought his beloved oldtimer from the VEBEG for a symbolic price of 3,000 DM.

It still exists in best condition.

But for me (I droveonly once that car) it was a terrible piece. I am 1,86m tall and my legs were far too long. So after 3 hours driving my knee were hurting like devil.

Another funny case: On of the soldiers showed his father the Unimog he were driving. Unbelievable: The father drove the same car in the same bataillon 20 years ago.

The Bn CO even mentioned that in his speech at the recruits oath ceremony.

Today there are still a small amount of special purpose Unimog 404S in duty, nearly 60 years of service!

Comment

Originally posted by hoover View Post
      Today there are still a small amount of special purpose Unimog 404S in duty, nearly 60 years of service!

..and beside that the times are over when ex- BW Unimog 404 always were rebuild into "long range dessert motorhomes", fun-cars for offroadparks or what ever silly purpose you can think of ... today more and more of the survivors were restored to the specification of the day they went into service ... I know more then one Mog which today again carries its original wireless interior instead of the bed which replaced it once ...

Jens,

whos Borgward B2000 still its waiting for its rebirth ...

Comment

The Belgian Army used older Unimogs in the 80s and we basically lived in them for months of the year when we supported Belgian units in the field. I spent days sleeping in the front seat driving in convoys on the Autobahn. Best place to be in the winter was right next to the engine cover. There was a German guy living in Belize as well that had one there and rented it out with him as a driver in the 1990s we used to take it up in the mountains on the back roads.

Comment

Kameraden - Thanks for the wonderful stories.

I knew they were out there!

I suppose we'll have to get into the technical details at some point. I'll see what I can find later this week.

In the meantime, don't be afraid to tell us your favorite Unimog stories.

So far, this is shaping up to be a great thread.

All the best - TJ

Comment

Kameraden,

The February 2013 issue of the British magazine Classic Military Vehicle carried stories on both the HS 30 and Unimog.

In the picture below, you can see the prototype agricultural vehicle from which the type was derived. It would look as though many changes were made before the Unimog was taken into Bundeswehr service.

All the best,
            TJ
            Attached Files

Comment

Many unimogs were shipped to the USA and sold for around 8 to 12,000USD. (late 80's and in the 1990')...some people bought them , and drove them for a while, but many complained about the cost and availability for parts if any were needed, and my main observation about them is the width between the tires is too narrow, and makes them un stable, and had a tendency to tip over...and could have been better designed to widen the wheel base(more like a hum Vee is). They are collectible, but I do not know anyone who bought one prior that is still driving any regularly,and have sold theirs and lost interest, I am sure some people still love theirs out there...and I see people occasionally trying to dump one for about the same money. They are intriguing and an interesting vehicle, but personally I wouldn't buy one , for the same reasons as stated above above. MB's and GPW's and GPA's are easier for the avilability of parts mechanicly, and I am not surprised that a tall man would find it an uncomfortable vehicle to drive over long periods. But to each his own. Whatever trips your trigger I always say.

Comment

We had a 710M Pinzgauer. LOVED IT!! Drove it all over the place, including some pretty difficult off-road terrain. I actually got it stuck in mud and had to use the pioneer tools to get myself out. "I think I should stop before I get stuck" was uttered about 2 seconds too late, unfortunately

We sold it nearly 5 or 6 years after we bought it because we didn't "need" it any more. I don't think a month goes by when we don't wish for another one. In fact, I saw a friend tonight who saw one on the highway a few days ago and said he thought of us. This made us sad again!

I also had a Unimog 416. I had someone transport it back from New Hampshire (yup, that silly place ) and dropped off about 3 miles from my house. After driving it around his parking lot I drove it home. That is the only time I drove it. Scared the HELL out of me. It rode rough and even slower than I thought it would up our modest (but very long) sloped road.

I tried to get some attachments for the PTO and gave up because the costs were ridiculous. I could buy dedicated vehicles to do the same thing BETTER than what the attachment could do.

And of course I also heard the horror stories of parts problems.

In the end I wound up trading it and I think it eventually went for parts because some ungodly expensive brake component seized up.

I would buy a Pinzgauer tomorrow in a heartbeat. I would not go anywhere near a Unimog 416 even if someone gave it to me.

Just my 2 cents

Steve

Comment

You will all probably know but there are numerous unimog clips on youtube;
                  here's a nice english spoken short one about the 60 year history with nice footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNLveB4LLNg

all the best,
                  Kees

Comment

Don't know how many days (or weeks) I spent in that unimogs. Do you know how to recognize a unimog's co-driver? Left leg burnt, right leg frozen to death.

I remember when we were mentioned in the traffic news once. Returning home from MUNSTER training area, my unimog had a flat tire. Tire change in the middle of road works 5 kilometers south of the Elbtunnel/Hamburg on a sunny friday. I will not forget this day (an the nice compliments we heard then...;-)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X