Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G-Helm-Bullet test

Gentlemen,

I've seen a thread or two on other forums on bullet tests on metal haelmets but I do not remember seeing the results of a bullet test on a Gefechtshelm. When I was in Calgary last summer I visited a book store and he had a number of helmets on display aon the walls of the store. I bought a couple and took pictures of one that had been subjected to tests to see how it would withstand gunshots at close range. Most helmet tests, and this includes those done by German armerd forces, use pistols at close range to evaluate helmets. Helmets were originally introduced to protect the head form airbursts. Tests on early helmets indicated that to to provide a helmet that offered even a little amount of protection from rifle ammunition would make the helmet too heavy to wear. Hence the use of tests with pistol ammunition to test helmets. I would have done the tests with different ammunition but you must take what you get! The pictures are self explanatory.

Regards,

Gordon
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

R u sure this a G an not a Fritz helmet?

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by uscob View Post
            R u sure this a G an not a Fritz helmet?
            Nico,

I am not sure what you mean by this statement. I neglected to look and see who made this helmet. I posted this as a general illustration of the an aramid helmet. I probably shouldn't have used the term Gefechtshem and just referred to it as a generic example of what happens to one of these helmets when someone shoots at it from close range.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Wow! Interesting pictures!! That thing can really take a beating.

"Fritz helmet" is the nickname given to the US military's standard Kevlar helmet (PASGT) used until the MICH replaced it in the early 2000s. It got the name because of its obvious similarities to the shape of the famous German WW2 family of helmets.

Steve

Comment

That's a US PASGT helmet.

Nice photos Gordon. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X