Lakesidetrader

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! How to carry a first type breadbag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! How to carry a first type breadbag?

Hi!

I (or my mannequin ) would like to carry the first type breadbag as a rucksack.
    I have some breadbags and some straps...but no idea how to fix it.

Any ideas or pictures?

Bye
    Frank

Okay, here 2 pics from my collection:

Top one is dated 1956, bottom 1957. The 1957 one has an additional loop sewn on.

So, how to fix the strap for carrying as a rucksack??

Comment

Hi Frank,

I have no idea! The rings are on the wrong side for this to work correctly. Plus, the Y-straps don't have clips on the shoulders, correct? So I don't see how it could connect even if the rings were on the back side of the bag.

Are you sure this type was capable of being worn as a small backpack?

Steve

Comment

Yes, there are some pics in the "gelboliv" books.

They are attached with the straps and worn as backpacks. I will scan some pics soon.

Comment

Never mind my silly comment about the straps being on the wrong side. That was just tired eyes seeing things incorrectly

This is an interesting mystery. I do not know of any separate clips. At least I've not come across any. And without them I don't understand how they would attach to the shoulder straps. Unless there was an early type with clips already on the straps?

Steve

Comment

Found some pics on my hardrive:

And this chap (I got it from this forum a long time ago) seems to know the answer:

But who is he? Is he still active here? (He is wearing a BGS-web belt...)

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/user/Wini500#p/u/7/s8aAJKhGrBk

Here in this old film the breadbag is worn on the straps in slungover fashion. Nice.

Comment

Well, well, well!! I saw the FJ Broad Splinter picture and was very happy to add it to my tiny collection of Broad Splinter pictures. And what did I find? Another picture taken within a few seconds or minutes! Funny coincidence Even better, it shows the pack's attachment in greater detail:

The reenactment picture is from/of michelwijnand. A really nice guy who has posted some great photos of himself in various full uniforms.

Steve

Comment

Based on the pictures we have so far, here is my theory of the steps used to turn it into a backpack:

1. Extend the carrying strap out probably as far as it can go.

2. Place on the ground "upside down".

3. Step into the space between strap and pack with the pack to your front.

4. Raise the pack so the strap is at the small of your back.

5. Raise pack over head and drop it against your back.

What this does is create shoulder straps with the strap running along the small of your back.

Now, I know the above steps will work for sure. How comfortable this is... I don't know

The technique seems to be supported by the picture. Notice in my picture that there is no sign of any other straps, but there is a sign of the square metal length adjuster on the left shoulder. Looking at Michel's picture you can see the strap running across his lower back.

I'll ask Michel to come and comment if he has the time.

Also, I've been meaning to ask... are there any pictures of the green web belt being used by BGS? I have not seen any pictures of this in use, only the standard black leather belt.

Steve

Comment

Yes, that is the same manner Jens already told me
                    It works, I tried it out, but is highly uncomfortable if the pack is filled, with attached field canteen etc.

But it works...

To the Belt: The BGS, Police and LSHD used the green web belt. Commonly they have a clip an the front for the battery back.

I have pics, yes Will scan them soon. I never saw any pics of the green web belts with clips in Bw use.

Comment

Originally posted by hoover View Post
                      And this chap (I got it from this forum a long time ago) seems to know the answer:

But who is he? Is he still active here? (He is wearing a BGS-web belt...)
                      Haha, that's me, and I'm still active
                      I'm wearing it like this:

Here's a bit of text describing this way in German, I believe I found both of these a long tima ago on the forum, and the text was from a fieldmanual I believe:

Hope this helps you.
                      Also, you call my belt a BGS belt, is it really BGS? Since info on these belts is quite hard to find and there seem to be several versions including mine.

Cheers,
                      Michel

Comment

Hi Michel,

nice to read you.
                        Oh yes!!!

It works, thank you. Now I have the solution, thank you.
                        Here is a scan of a combined LSHD/Fire service namual.

The FuG 6 never was used by the Bundeswehr. The LSHD got them from the BGS/police in the 60´s. The clips are for carrying the shoulde strap and the battery pack.

I never have seen any pics of this belt by Bundeswehr soldiers.

Comment

Everybody is happy now! Except for me... now I have to find the stupid strap for my belt But thanks for the picture so I know what to look for! Interesting, yet another piece of equipment nearly identical to Bundeswehr but not.

Steve

Comment

hoover,

Here is a picture of the belt used with this radio to support the battery pack. I assume that the battery pack is attached to the over-the-shoulder starp and that the strap clips onto the two "D" rings on the belt. Is there a picture of the back of the guy using the radio in the manual?

Regards,

Gordon
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Gordon Craig; 11-24-2010, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Gordon,

I think you are correct. The front clip's lower section is probably for hanging the radio itself. Just a guess!

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X