Identifying 1950s era BGS Straight Handle E-tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifying 1950s era BGS Straight Handle E-tools

Team - I came across a very interesting posting on the Wehrmacht Equipment Forum that may assist us in our perennial quest to separate wartime produced entrenching tools from those produced in the post-war era for the early BGS.

Association member MAXIMUS 39 posted pictures of a straight handle e-tool manufactured by Idealspaten seeking to determine if it was wartime production.

In turn, long time member JPhilip replied that although Idealspaten did produce e-tools for the Wehrmacht, complete with their distinctive trademark pressed into the blade, every wartime example that he's handled always featured the production date underneath the trademark. He further remarked that the production date was not included on post-war examples of the e-tool. The e-tool shown by MAXIMUS 39 did not have the production date stamped under the trademark and was thus deemed to be of post-war manufacture.

As you scan the pictures below, note too the manufacturing differences between wartime and post-war shovels. In this example, we can see that the distinctive flare at the rear of the blade present in wartime examples was hammered down in this post-war example.

As for the cover, it was deemed a fake, as the wartime production codes appear to have been added at a later date by an unscrupulous vendor. Most of the known postwar examples I have seen feature riveted contruction vice the sewn variation seen here. I've also heard it said that the fastening buckle on post-war examples are attached from the opposite side from wartime carriers. I have yet to verify this.

The East Germans made extensive use of the straight handle shovel in the post-war years and are thought to have made new leather carriers for use with leftover wartime vintage e-tools. Distinguishing these carriers from "West" German ones remains an area requiring further study.

All the best - TJ
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 08-14-2010, 10:44 PM. Reason: typos

A rear view of the e-tool.
    Attached Files

Comment

A close-up of the blade.
      Attached Files

Comment

A look at the distinctive Idealspaten Trademark. Note the abscence of a production date.

Idealspaten is still in business today, but most of their products are marketed to the civilian sector.
        Attached Files

Comment

Here's the trademark as it appears on the "oliv" / "Division 59" folding e-tool used by the Bundeswehr from 1959 right up through the late 1980s when it was replaced by the U.S. style tri-fold model.
          Attached Files

Comment

A look at the carrier that was stamped with dubious Wehrmacht codes.

Is it a repro or perhaps early BRD or DDR manufacture?

Again, many of the known, post-war dated carriers manufactured in the BRD featured riveted contruction.
            Attached Files

Comment

A rear view of the dubious carrier.
              Attached Files

Comment

This e-tool by the Pionier Company previously received tacit approval from the BRD forum as being manufactured specifically for the BGS in the early 1950s.

Note the use of reinforcing rivets on the belt loops and at the bottom of the carrier.

(Photo courtesy of Manion's).
                Attached Files

Comment

The Pionier Trademark (Manion's).

The stamp is thought to read "Pionier 1955 Stahl" (Pioneer 1955 Steel).
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is another post-war manufactured straight handle e-tool.

I am afraid that I no longer can remember the source of this picture, my apologies.

In a further testament to my faulty memory, I can't recall whether or not we decided if this was a BRD or DDR manufactured blade.

All the best - TJ
                    Attached Files

Comment

TJ,
                      Interesting post. I have posted this late 1950s/early 60s photo here before, but post it again, because it is relevant to discussion here. Rivets are visible on both lower strap and belt loops (2 rivets on each loop!) on the spade covers. I not know if that helps or not.

regards
                      Klaus

Comment

Klaus - For some reason I can't see your photo.

Is anyone else having this trouble?

Thanks - TJ

Comment

Hi TJ i can't see the picture to.

By the way interrresting posting. Thank you

Regards. Redge

Comment

Hi TJ

what do you think about this one ?
                            We can see the rivets you were talking about and a serial number absolutly identical with the one you show us.

Comment

Kreitzer - That is the Bundeswehr's standard issue entrenching tool that first appeared in 1959 and soldiered on into the late 1980s /early 1990s.

In the German soldier's handbook called the "Reibert" after the author's last name, this pattern and the harness it was worn on is referred to simply as the "oliv" pattern of field gear. As this field gear was issued under the Bundeswehr modernization program called "Division 59", it is sometimes called the Division 59 model e-tool. Others have called it the HS 2 e-tool, as it was issued under the auspices of a Bundeswehr MoD white paper titled Heerestruktur 2 in 1959.

It was a sturdy model that allowed BW soldiers to choose from a spade or pick. The only ones I have seen were made by the Idealspaten Company. The e-tool can be seen on the left side of the rigs worn by this Milan Team. It was eventually replaced by a tri-fold shovel used by U.S. and U.K. soldiers.

Bundeswehr vets please fill in the missing pieces.

All the best - TJ
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 08-19-2010, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X