BW Winter Uniforms 1958-1990

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BW Winter Uniforms 1958-1990

I recently had to move around a bunch of my bulky winter gear and decided it was a good time to document the BW stuff I have. Especially the mystery parka at the end of this post.

First up is a 1st Model Field Jacket, dated 1959 (shell) and 1958 (liner). This replaced the Splittertarnjacke with Teddyfutter liner. As far as I can tell the original liner, produced in 1958 and 1959, was a quilted nylon type. From 1959 on the liner was the familiar Teddyfutter.

The example pictured below is pretty beat up. The epaulettes have been cut off and the BRD flags removed from the shoulders. I have a much better condition one waiting for me in Germany.

Next is what is a set of winter over trousers, dated 1959. At least I assume these are for winter use, but I suppose the could also be for wet weather despite apparently not being specially treated to repel water. In any case, at this point the standard uniform trousers were wool, so cotton overtrousers would be a big benefit in terms of both cold and wet.

The features of this one are reverse snaps (i.e. the male side on the flaps), pass through hand pockets, sewn in elastic suspenders, strap gathers at ankles, and pocket on the right leg only. It is interesting to note that in 1958 the Austrian Bundesheer experimented with reverse position snaps as well.

Here is a 1962 example of the overtrousers. It is nearly identical to the 1959 type except the snaps are in the normal configuration and with a more pointed leg pocket flap. The integrated belt buckle is also different, being rather plain compared to a deeply pocked type found on the above version.

Rounding out the above two types is this one dated 1975. It is very similar, however it is simplified in several ways. First, the leg cuffs have snaps to gather at the ankles instead of straps. The fly of the above two is a V shape overlapping flap with a button on the inside, while this one now has a snap. There is no longer a belt, nor are there belt loops. However, the design is similar in other ways.

Sometime around 1986 or 1988 the OD Gortex type overtrousers came into use. They are very similar in design to the above type and, as far as I can tell, replaced them. The Flecktarn type (1990) is nearly the same as the OD Gortex type. This would suggest that all 5 types are wet weather gear, but again I can not be certain of this.

OK, back to jackets. Here is the type we are familiar with most, which I call 2nd Model Winter Parka. It was likely introduced in 1970 along with other new garments. My example is dated 1984. It is a simplified 1st Model with rounded surface buttons in place of the flat raised edge type used in the 1950s and 1960s. The primary feature differences are an overall shorter hemline, no reinforced elbows, and simplified armpits. The 1st Model has two pieces and metal grommets making up the armpit vent area while the 2nd Model has no special pieces and stitched vent holes.

Next is the 3rd Model, introduced in 1988 or perhaps 1986. The particular example I have is dated 1988. It consists of an outer shell and a completely separate inner liner which can be worn separately. The liner has a wide cloth collar and cuffs. The shell is made of thin artificial fiber. It is a further simplification of the parka design with zippered hand pockets instead of buttoned flapped, snap cuffs instead of button strapped cuffs, and snap front instead of button front. This model was the basis of the Flecktarn parka system that came into service around 1990.

OK, here are some mystery items. The first is heavy, VERY HEAVY, cotton trousers in the came design as the Filzlaus. They appear to be overtrousers, but I suppose they could be worn on their own. The example I have is dated 1959. I have no idea how long these were produced, however TJ was kind enough to post a picture of them being worn in 1960.

My hunch is these were not issued for very long, though that is just a guess.

Lastly is a mystery parka. The best guess I can come up with for this one is that it was a sort of extreme cold parka or a type specific to say LW or Marine. The combo I have is a 1976 shell with a snap in (not button!) 1961 liner. Perfect fit too. It is significantly longer than even the 1st Model and has a different pocket configuration, more similar to the service Mantel. It has two high up vertical hand pockets and two lower horizontal pockets with flaps but no buttons or snaps. Strange. Any pictures or info on this one would be greatly appreciated!

That about does it, I think!

Oh headgear. I don't have the time or energy to dig this stuff out. Suffice to say there are at least 3 models of lined flap caps (2x OD, 1x Flecktarn).

Steve
    Last edited by Collectinsteve; 06-14-2010, 01:40 AM.

...and the mystery parka has not traces of national flags on the sleeves ? As it is longer, has a different pocket configuration and no flags it is a so called "StOV-Parka" as it is primarily made for civil personnel working for the BW facility management etc. Beside that it is for sure worn by military personnel also ...

The last trouser may be for the "Kampfanzug, Übergang", a mysterious cotton made BDU invented in 1959 and only mentioned in a very few documents. Depending on these documents it is the "missing link" between the splinter camo o dress and the Filzlaus....

The trouser with the integrated suspenders is also a little bit strange. Manufactured over a long period (I also have one 50ies made plus one made in 1975) with some changes in design and material no one really remembers where it was good for, none of the guys serving in the BW really remembers it ... the label hanging on my 1975er just says "Hose, Überzieh-" (Trouser, Pullover) ...

Regards,

Jens

P.S.: At german ebay there is a complete teddy suit for sale... and I don`t need a second one...

Comment

Very interesting!! The StOV-Parka was manufactured over a period of at least 15 years with little or no modifications. I would guess they made small batches and didn't care too much about innovation because it seems to be a secondary use item.

The cotton trousers are now more interesting to me than ever! So this might be an experimental item? Neat At the very least it does seem to be very rare. I have seen only one on eBay in many years. The bidding was quite low on it, probably because people mistook it for Filzlaus (bad photos) or perhaps even US M-1951 (which this is based on). I was very happy to win.

The picture TJ posted now looks more mysterious to me than I originally thought. Let's look at this again:

The soldier on the left is wearing cotton jacket and trousers. Yet the trousers have no leg pocket on the right side, which means it isn't like any of the trousers I have pictured. The soldier on the right is wearing the heavy 1959 trousers along with a 1st Model Parka. But the soldier on the left is wearing something I've never seen before! It has no hood but is not Filzlaus! So what is it? The features appear to be:

1. Collar
      2. Reinforced elbows
      3. Elastic gather lower hem (and presumably waist too)
      4. Some type of gather at the wrists (probably button strap)

The trousers appear to have no knee reinforcement, but do have a reinforced seat.

So what is this uniform?!? It appears to be a winter oversuit, but it isn't like anything I've ever seen before. It would be fantastic if someone found another picture. I've got stacks of old BW magazines and a few books that I will now look through in hopes of finding more pictures.

Steve

Comment

The man on the left is a US army cadet

Comment

What makes you say that? He's equipped with BW stuff, not US (though I can't say 100% sure about the jacket). Is there a caption with this photo somewhere?

Steve

Comment

I quote TJ

The individual on the left, identified as a U.S. Army cadet, carries the second model "ABC schutzmaske," and the G1 in perfect profile.

original archive caption - "U.S. Cadet (Douglas V. Johnson II) and W. German Cadet on a field training problem, W. Germany"

Source: Army Heritage and Education Center: http://ahecwebdds.carlisle.army.mil/...md=1&awdid=200

Date: 1960

Comment

Ah, I forgot all about that caption. Thanks!

What he heck was a US soldier doing kitted out in German gear? I've seen other training pics and the US soldiers seem to retain their US stuff. Odd.

Well, at least that explains the trousers and jacket. The US soldier is likely wearing a M-1951 field jacket, but I don't know what he is wearing for trousers. Not matching M-1951 for sure.

Steve

Comment

Charlie Brown - Thanks for the assist!

Steve - I'm not sure why the U.S. cadet donned the BW gear; we always wore our own stuff when we went calling to our partnership units. As seen in the photo below, it was not an infrequent occurence, although these guys seem to be wearing BW helmets only. A safety consideration for live fire maneuvers perhaps? The U.S. Quartermaster Corps captain (kneeling right) is sporting a lid with a splinter pattern cover, all the others are in Amoebatarn.
                (Photo source: Das Buch Der Fallschrimjaeger by Klaus Neuman)

As for the pants being worn by the cadet, my guess is "trousers, cotton sateen, olive drab", the precursor to the OG-107s that first appeared in 1963.

Since I have you on the line so to speak, I feel obligated to warn you that I live in a neighboring state. I don't know if I'll be able to fight the urge to commit "grand theft militaria" for much longer. You truly have a remarkable range of highly desireable Bundeswehr collectibles.

All the best - TJ
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info and another great pic! Yeah, it is really strange for the cadet to be sporting all German kit, but not the uniform. Very strange, but it does explain why the uniform doesn't conform to other German uniforms we know of.

As for your theory of the Sateen... I'm not sure. They weren't designed to be worn baggy. In fact, I just got a heavily starched set a couple of days ago (I have others too), and they are more "stovepipe" in style. In other words, to get that amount of bagginess the guy would have to be wearing something several times too big for him.

Well, my guess is they are some form of winter overtrousers I'm not familiar with. 1950s US militaria is not my area of expertise.

As for your threats of invasion. My single biggest defense against an incursion is the sheer volume of stuff I have. By the time you figured out what to steel the coppers would have the house surrounded and the negotiation team deployed. I'm also friends with the local fuzz, so I'm sure you would "resist arrest" (as stated in your arrest report). The alternative to this unpleasantness is to arrange for a scheduled visit At least wait until my 1956 dated FJ Splittertarn set arrives.

Steve

Comment

TJ, no need to get in conflic with the law enforcement guys in case you are looking for a StOV Parka, a Hose, Überzieh (1975 made) or a field Parka ...you just have to ask me....

Jens

Comment

Blend In

Tom,

When we went on exercise with our Bundeswehr Batterie, we suited up in Bundeswehr uniforms (Panzer Combi) so that we didn't give away the nature of our "special relationship" to either the SMLM Kamrades or for that matter the French. I had a full issue of BW uniform for these occasions. When we went to Graffenwohr, we wore our US uniforms, but traveled with the batteries in their UNIMOGS and Kubelwagens. We didn't have any US transport support. I did get into BW uniform real quick one night when invited to the Mickey Club (if memory serves). I was unaware that it was off limits to US troops and was invited by the Battalion Commander, so how could I say no! We were "enjoying" a fan dance from some French floozy who I honestly think had entertained the boy back in 44, when US MP's came in. All of a sudden I was promoted to Oberstleutnant and sported a schiff to make my disguse complete. When they left, I was once again transformed. I'll see if I can dig out a picture.

Comment

Kondor,

Thanks!! Yeah, OPSEC... I didn't think of that. Makes perfect sense to me, especially given the time period of that picture. From a distance the 1st Model Parka and the US M-1951 would look about the same, so they probably figured it wasn't necessary to do a full swap.

I forgot to mention that two of the three "winter" trousers (the ones with the unclear use) were purchased at a local Army/Navy store here in the US. They are unissued and I had about 30 to pick from. I went through them all looking for variants and date ranges. I took the oldest and the newest in the two styles I found. All the rest were the same style and were either early 1960s or mid 1970s from what I remember. Given their apparently unclear use it isn't surprising that such a large number were stored unused.

Steve

Comment

BTW, it looks like the liner for the Flecktarn Parka is different than the one pictured. Specifically, it has a zippered chest pocket on the exterior right side. I don't know when the pocket was introduced, but it is logical to assume it happened around 1990.

Steve

Comment

Opsec

Ok, as promised, some pictures of me out with my Bundeswehr battery. This was over at the Ubungs Platz: Stettin am Kalten Mark or better known as Stettin am Kalten Arsch! First up an early morning shot with Oberfledwebel Grossjohann, yeah, his real name. The other is with Unteroffizier Glatt. I still have the helmet cover around somewhere down in the bunker. Its really nothing more than a cut up piece of zeltbahn.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry about the size, I still haven't figured the adjust fire button on these.

Anyway, Schutzenschnur award by the batterie. I have that and the Leistungsabzeichen in silver along with the Fallschirmjaegerabzeichen I always enjoyed my assignments with the Bundeswehr. I always found them to be the most professional to serve with and I learned a lot from many of the "retreads" from the Luftwaffe and the Waffen SS
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X