need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help

All I no is that this is my uncle can any one tell what the uniform he's wearing and roughly the year.

Hello John ! Wellcome to the west-german forum...here you are absolutely right with this picture...

Depending on the collar-insignia of the jacket your uncle is wearing in this picture it was taken in the periode between the end of 1955 and 1957. Only in this short time this type of metal insignia was worn in the BW. The crossed rifles where worn by the infantry. The jacket itself should be of the type called "Affenjacke", a relatively short type of overgarment with two rows of buttons, also used for a relatively short time.

Regards,

Jens

Comment

According to Kunstwadl the collar insignia was first used in December 1955, so that would be the earliest time for this picture. In the summer of 1956, if I read things correctly, they got rid of the metal badges and started using the woven colored collar tabs. It looks like Luftwaffe didn't get them until early 1957, but that the Heer was changed over starting in the fall of 1956.

Therefore, the most likely date for this photo is 1956. Specifically the first 3/4 of 1956.

Steve

Comment

many thanks chaps

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X