Veterinary Officer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veterinary Officer

Carl Toepfer completed his training as a Veterinary Officer during WW2 and served in Mountain units

He went on to serve in the Bundeswehr, attaining the rank of Colonel.

I was very pleased when Col Toepfer gave me one of his tunics in the latter part of the 1980's.

I'd like to honour his memory by sharing this piece with the Forum ... this is exactly how it came to me - as far as I recall, Carl had removed the silver piping from around the collar and replaced the boards (?).

The portrait was taken of Carl in 1972. The other pic is of him sometime later with other Bundeswehr personnel in Greece - Carl is the tall man in the centre of the pic, speaking with a Greek officer.

Kind regards
    Paul
    Attached Files

Col Toepfer's tunic ...
    Attached Files

Comment

the edelweiss ...
      Attached Files

Comment

1972 ...
        Attached Files

Comment

in Greece ...
          Attached Files

Comment

Paul,

A very nice memorial to Carl Toepfer. Interesting that he should have removed the silver pipping on his tunic collar. There are comments about mountain service tunics without the pipping in another thread on the forum but I don't know of any regulation saying it should be removed for these units.
            You have a question mark after where you say he replaced the boards. I don't think he replaced his boards. They are correct for someone in the medical field. Serving personnel in Mountain Regiments of the Bundeswehr wore the waffenfarbe of their trade not the green of the mountain troops. Green would only have been worn by mountain infantry soldiers.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Many thanks for your comments Craig ...

No, what I was trying to say was that I seem to recall that Carl had stripped some or all of the insignia from the tunic at some point post his retirement ...
              too many years have passed now to recall clearly, unfortunately.

Best wishes
              Paul

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X