2. Model BGS Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2. Model BGS Uniform

To continue my earlier topic on my 1. Model BGS uniform, I will now post my 2. model uniform. I bought the various parts during last several months but no time to take photos.

Here is almost entire uniform (need only tie). All parts undated but previous date around 1957 or 1958 I was told. The early shirts and straight-leg trousers are very difficult to find. The greatcoat is first model, needs insignia. It has slots so belt hooks from tunic can support belt over greatcoat. Wool is better and thicker than later greatcoats. Sorry for lighting quality, shirt is light blue-grey.

regards
    Klaus

The Dienstrock was introduced 1953 and replaced Rundbundbluse 1954-55. At first they had no Kragenspiegel, but Kragenspiegel were introduced 1957 and added to all existing uniforms. The first model Dienstrock was replaced in early 1960s by more common second model Dienstrock. Early Dienströcke are rough wool (Filzstoff) and have belt hook holes and no turnback cuffs. They are also lighter colour, almost like some shades of feldgrau. This tunic is for a Hauptwachtmeister im BGS and is well worn and faded, wool almost bare in spots. Around 1957 or 1958 probably.

This example is with 1957 Bandschnalle, includes EK2, Verwundetenabzeichen in schwarz and Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen. Backing of Bandschnalle is red felt. Also with DSB-Sportabzeichen on breast. All are original to tunic and have special loops for them. Interesting what the wearer experienced in WW2 and then to join BGS in 1950s!

Comment

Stamp in tunic marked "GSAT Nord" and "II A" - I am not sure what these mean, except GSAT Nord is a command section I think. Trousers stamp is faded and unreadable, shirt has no stamps I can find.

Also interesting comparison with early (left) and late 1950s (right) Bergmützen. I wrongly posted my late 1950s Bergmütze with my Rundbundbluse, but should have posted my earlier one. Early ones are similar to wartime M43 Feldmützen with lower crown, 2 holes. Later have higher crown and one hole on each side. Piping is also different, but varied in 1950s by maker. And no, neither is Polizei - I have seen other examples marked BGS and Kokarde is original on both.

Last edited by Klaus1989; 12-23-2009, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Hello Klaus,

Very nice uniforms and interesting to see the 57er mini-medal bar. Nice!

Comment

Klaus - Wow, what a year! Congratulations!

These aquisitions have to put you at the top of BGS collectors in the U.S.A.

I'm jealous!

All the best - TJ

Comment

Klaus,

Congratulations on acquiring all of these pieces to complete a 2nd type uniform. Not surprising that it comes with a ribbon bar with 1957 style awards on it. The early BGS had a considerable number of WWII veterans serving it it.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

GSA T Nord is Grenzschutzabteilung T Nord stationed in Winsen an der Luhe. Every Grenzschutzkommando had a engineer battallion. T means Technisch.

Regards Michael

Comment

TCW 60,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for explanation of the markings Klaus's tunic.

Klaus,

Interesting comparison between the two M43 style caps. I'll have to compare some of mine for shape size etc.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Michael,
                  Vielen Dank!

Gordon,
                  It is more interesting with my Bergmüzten. The insides are also different. Early 50s has cloth liner and sweatband around entire inside, late 50s has rayon liner and sweatband only in front. Sometime I need to photograph comparison.

regards
                  Klaus

Comment

Revive this thread to add another 1st pattern Dienstrock, that I bought recently and see how much I learned in 4 years! The cap on the left, I have discovered is the Hessen Polizei. I am not sure, if the right cap is even BGS, but I keep it in my collection.

Another Dienstrock from late 1950s, this time for a Grenztruppjäger i. BGS. This was normal promotion after basic training complete, so one would think, that such lower ranks are common, but in my experience, are rarer to see (Wachtmeister ranks are most common to find for some reason). In contrast to previous tunic, the eagle is embroidered on wool, which was standard for time. The woven eagle on wool backing was a replacement, possibly personal preference of the wearer. Also has size tag "48" like the 50s camo uniforms, unlike other tunic, which lacks.

The shoulderboards were obviously hand applied at promotion - sleeve liner was not well repaired, but no doubt original with wear, that match tunic. Probably wearer did it himself! Strangely has 2 right shoulderboards - second is possible replacement or was paired in error. But is correct early cotton type.

No early BGS wool uniforms (except Sumpftarn jackets) seem to be dated. Stamped with unit GSAT Nord and Roman numbers "I" and "II". Unit is same as my other tunic - maybe the wearers encountered each other?

Here are both GSAT Nord tunics united again together after over 50 years: l. Grenztruppjäger and r. Hauptwachtmeister.

Regards
                    Klaus

Comment

Here a couple of displays of the uniforms to show how typical equipment was worn. I need to find new torso - stupid neck is too thick to close shirt collar!

Grenztruppjäger i. BGS armed with FAL/G1 in field with light equipment setup (breadbag and mag pouches).

Hauptwachtmeister i. BGS at inspection with awards, armed with only Astra 600 pistol

Comment

Very nice! I've not seen the ink stamps on the inside specifying which unit the tunic was issued to. Cool.

I purchased a couple of the 2nd Model tunics and one came without badging while another came with incorrect badging poorly applied. I've seen others from this timeframe without any badging. So I guess it is possible that your latest addition might have been repaired by another collector. I know if you purchased one of mine that is what you would find

Steve

Comment

Thanks for showing!

Comment

I picked up this one today
                            [IMG][/IMG]
                            [IMG][IMG][/I[IMG][/IMG]MG][/IMG]

Comment

Nice find, not see these so much! I have not seen early Dienstrock with cotton lining before like yours (only rayon), although my BGS short tunic have one. Could be earlier production than mine or only different maker. Unfortunately these early tunics have stamps for neither, which make almost impossible to be certain.

The shoulderboards look like TR Schutzpolizei with felt backing removed. Meister i. BGS boards are green and silver cord, and usually worn with officer quality tunics. Something look odd about the shape of collartabs, but could just be the angle of photo, detailed photo would help. Of course would need sleeve eagle too, which outline is visible in one photo.

Regards
                              Klaus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X