No announcement yet.

Flight Jacket restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added a new nametape today. White on dark blue.
    I'm actually to the point where I really need to make a decision on unit patches and where exactly to put them!

Comment

Gentlemen,

I have found some other information on the web that confirms the transition from a weapons school to a Jabo unit which makes sense to me. The training squadron most familiar to me in the past was WaSLw 10 which handle the transition to new models for the Luftwaffe. I have found a couple of pictures on the web of aircraft flown by WaSLw 50. First a T-33 and then a G-91. The squadron crest can be seen on the tail fin of the T-33 and the letters "BD" on the fusalage of the G-91 were used by WaSLw 50.
      Attached Files

Comment

The Waffenschulen were renamed so that it looked like more operational wings ready for the cold war enemy ... WaSLw 50 became JaboG 49 when they get their Alpha Jets in 1980 or so and WaSLw 10 was promoted to JaboG 38 with the arrival of the Tornado. They still were training units, but now with an active secondary role in case of the cold war becoming hot.

Comment

Chris - Looking good!

My thanks to you and Gordon for helping out Frank Savage.

All the best - TJ

Drinking eagle, drinking eagle, drinking eagle, drinking eagle.........

Comment

Originally posted by RamJet View Post
            The Waffenschulen were renamed so that it looked like more operational wings ready for the cold war enemy ... WaSLw 50 became JaboG 49 when they get their Alpha Jets in 1980 or so and WaSLw 10 was promoted to JaboG 38 with the arrival of the Tornado. They still were training units, but now with an active secondary role in case of the cold war becoming hot.
            Ramjet,

Thanks for your explanation of the dual roles. Makes a lot more sense that way.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Thanks to all!

Cheers!

Comment

I think Ramjet brought up this point earlier in this thread and I found it quite relevant for my jacket project.

As noted, there are/were no officially-sourced squadron patches so expect to see some variation among the same design. In addition, many designs were modified over the years. While the changes are often very subtle, when you view them side-by-side, the changes can also be quite dramatic. Below is a compilation of 1. Staffel patches for AG-51.

The design in the upper left can be seen in use in the late 1980s in the photo I linked to earlier in this thread. I believe there are at least 2 more variations of this design.

Things to notice: the black cross changes from being in the upper left corner to the lower right corner. I'm still researching if the diving eagle design is from the old AG-51 (Phantoms) or new AG-51 (Tornados). I believe the first diving eagle patch probably had 'Immelmann' written on it (upper right in my image).

The diving eagle changes to black panther (presumably when 512 is deactivated and becomes a UAV squadron). '511' changes from black to red. Finally the black panther changes to tiger-pattern 'tweety bird'.

To the same extent, the parent unit, in this case AG-51 Immelmann, has also seen considerable change to the design over the life of the Wing. The 'Teufel' design was very short lived being replaced officially by the red owl in 1960. The owl remained until 1993 when the Wing was deactivated and reformed as a Tornado wing. At this point, the black panther appears.
                Last edited by SprogCollector; 09-16-2010, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Steve,

Here is a picture of a Luftwaffe flight suit that you might find interesting in connection to the above post.

Regards,

Gordon
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X