X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Present state of the re-badging:
    - sleeve rank replaced
    - wing replaced

I have a new nametape on navy blue being made and am still undecided on what Geschwader/Staffel patches to use.

Comment

I found the following videos quite helpful in determing the badging being worn at various time periods and quite clearly supports Ramjets estimates of when the different rank badging was used.

http://www.ag51i.de/videos.html

Some are rather boring but others quite helpful and funny. "Joe the Recce Tiger" has no sound but is a very hilarious look at a typical day at AG-51 -- at least according to Joe!

Comment

Undecided on the Squadron patch!?!?

Clearly, the "last call" patch is far superior to the other choices.

Come on, who is with me on this?

All seriousness aside Chris, I await in joyful anticipation for the fully restored jacket and commend you on your extraordinary sewing skills.

So far, so gooooood.......

All the best - TJ
        Attached Files

Comment

I have to admit that the 511 patch is one of my favorites I do need to continue my research to see if this was actually worn or if this is some type of "party patch" (to use the USAF term)?

EDIT: I did find some notes indicating that 511 is now using an updated version of the patch with the panther replacing the red eagle:
          Maybe they have a drunken panther version??

The lingering desire to actually match up the original missing patch still remains, as well.

I have managed to reattach everything using the existing stitch holes -- a very time consuming process -- and I'm quite please with the results. Just missed two holes on the lining side due to a fold in the material

In looking through old photos, I don't really see any particular requirements for placement of the patches. The Geschwader patch can be see on either side of the jacket; nametags on either side, as well. Pilot wings do not seem to feature on a majority of older jackets although the type I'm using do appear to be consistantly on the upper right. Combination wing/nameplates appear on either side.
          Last edited by SprogCollector; 09-15-2010, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Sorry. I missed the 90-minute window to edit my last post.

Apparently 2. Staffel was combined with 1. Staffel in 2009 and a new patch developed to keep elements of both designs -- basically the eagle is replaced by the panther. I have not seen the design with drinking panther yet!!

2. Staffel is now operating UAV's while 1. Staffel continues to operate the Tornado. There is no information available as to when/if 2. Staffel will get its own patch.

Comment

Hi, Thomas!

I need your help...

I have on a BW flight jacket this patch. You know wich is the geschwader it belong?

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Comment

JaboGeschwader 49 has a nearly identical patch

Comment

Many thanks!

Then refers to a fighter-bomber squadron. Interesting! You know wich is the airplane used as JaBo in the BW?

Many thanks!

Comment

Frank,
                    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffenschule_der_Luftwaffe

Die Waffenschule der Luftwaffe 50 wurde im Februar 1958 in Erding mit RF-84F zunächst zur Ausbildung der Aufklärungsflugzeugführer der Luftwaffe aufgestellt. Zugleich bildete sie den personellen Grundstock für die Aufklärungsgeschwader 51 und 52. 1960 begann die Ausrüstung mit dem Waffensystem Fiat G.91, 1964 verlegte der Verband nach Fürstenfeldbruck und fusionierte mit der Flugzeugführerschule „B“. Deren Auftrag, die Grund- und Fortgeschrittenenschulung auf strahlgetriebenen Kampfflugzeugen wurde ab 1967 in die USA verlagert. Ab 1971 wäre aus der Waffenschule der Luftwaffe 50 im Verteidigungsfall das Leichte Kampfgeschwader 49 hervorgegangen. Im Oktober 1978 erfolgte die Umgliederung und Umbenennung der Waffenschule in Jagdbombergeschwader 49.

Zusätzliche Aufgaben der Waffenschule der Luftwaffe 50 waren ab April 1964 die Ausbildung von Fliegerleitoffizieren in der Lehrgruppe Luftunterstützung und ab 1972 die Eignungsfeststellung für Anwärter des fliegerischen Dienstes.

If I read this correctly, some interesting bits of info. WaSLw-50 originally had the patch used by AG-51 Immelmann. The patch you have was used for a training unit and later for a JaBo unit 50. This unit later becomes JaBoG-49 -- which explains the nearly identical patch!

Maybe someone who reads German better than I do can tell me if I read this correctly?

Chris
                    Last edited by SprogCollector; 09-15-2010, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Ok, thanks very much!

To me also, seems to read something of fifferent on the TJ's illustration. I don't remember the number write on my patch, but the draw is the same. The jacket is the same illustrate in this thread.

Cheers!

Comment

Frank,

I agree with SprogCollector. If you can post the letters beneath the shield we can probably tell what unit it came from. Looks to me like maintenance unit lettering.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gordon,
                          I have a clearer version of the illustration TJ posted. The descriptor under the shield is WaSLw 50 -- Waffenschule Luftwaffe 50. Basically advanced tactical training for those going to Jabo squadrons.

Chris

Comment

SprogCollector,

Thanks for the lettering designation. According to my reference material this badge was used after 1964. The badge used before that was;
                            Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks, Gordon and chris!!!

Is a pity! I would prefer a JaBo patch instead!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
                                SprogCollector,

Thanks for the lettering designation. According to my reference material this badge was used after 1964. The badge used before that was;
                                Hi Gordon,
                                Yes. That is correct. This same badge was also used by AG-51 very briefly in 1959 -- at least according to some web sources. The Owl arrives about a year later in 1960.

Frank,
                                If you have a flight jacket with this patch on it then it very likley is from either the Weapons School -- which trained JaBo crews -- or could also be the actual JaBo-50 patch from the time period just before it was changed to Jabo-49. In either case, it is a flying unit patch.
                                Last edited by SprogCollector; 09-15-2010, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X