West Berlin Polizei Y-strap Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Berlin Polizei Y-strap Question

Recently bought this Westberlin Polizei y-strap from Germany. I looked for early y-strap style (like WW2 "Tragegestell für Kavallerie") to fill place in my BGS collection until I find BGS-marked example. Normally, BGS and Bepo leather equipment is the same. I notice my pair is strange and different from TJ's 1954 Berlin Polizei set. They are marked "LARSEN 1959" and "PPBRLN" but I have seen newer style for Berlin Polizei from 1959, so why they still make old style?

What is also purpose of double ring on front? They are on front of body when worn, so not for pack, like normal. For setup with radio, or only late version?

regards
    Klaus

Anyone know about these type y-straps for Berlin Polizei? There seem to be some interest in Berlin Bepo here now.

Comment

Klaus,

Interesting Y straps but unfortunately they are as baffling to me as they are to you. Possibly these would be used for mounted Bepo in Berlin? As for the D rings on the front, a very good question. Possibly for straps to attach to the bottom af a back pack? When your done with them you can always send them my way!

Cheers,

Gordon

Comment

Interesting... I have not seen straps like this either. They are marked for the Berlin Municipal (or BEPO) Police as opposed to the BGS. My first thought would be for some sort of specialized quick detachable pack or equipment. The D rings would be around the top of the shoulder if the front belt hooks are extended normally I would think. This would allow the double D rings to support something both fore and aft. Very specialized...

Comment

Hmm, good questions.
          Never thought about it, I only sold them.
          They come also in blue-grey webbing.
          Last Years Kassel show I sold 100 mixed with BGS Leather ones. The Rings must be for small Equipment as The Backpack has it's own Shoulder Straps.
          Sadly i miss my camera in the moment to post them as I have about 50 of them left.
          Mostly stamped early 50's like 52, 53 and Berlin Police. They came from Niedersachsen as Berlin sold them to NS. Some lighter grey NS Packs are also somewhere.
          Nico

Comment

Team - I just noticed this "double ring" arrangement on my DDR "Y-riemen"; the older nylon type with the heart shaped central yoke.

All the best - TJ

Comment

(SLAPS HAND ON FOREHEAD)

That's why this thing looked so dang'd familiar. I wonder if there was some common ancestor before the wall went up? Many firms were split East and West so it's possible tooling and/or patterns existed for the same thing on both sides at once.

Steve

Comment

I thought they were like DDR ones also...until I wore them on with belt and pouches. The rings are on front of body and no way they could be on shoulders like DDR. That is why they are strange. What one needs to attach to front of ystraps with such big rings?!

Regards
                Klaus

Comment

I don't know ... but doesn't it look like a Taschenlampe?
                  It's the same strap, isn't it?

The sign says: "You are know entering the American sector"

Here's the (pretty short) article.
                  If someone needs a translation ... just let me know.

Comment

Thats a great photo, Martin.
                    Thanks for sharing.
                    It looks indeed like a flashlight.

Comment

The Taschenlampe is on the Mantel button attached. I have seen this photo before and think they are Vopo in photo (see Tschako type), not Westberlin Schupos. Vopo used Stg44 much in 1950s, but not heard that Westberlin Schupo/Bepo use it. One could not attach German-type Taschenlampen on these y-straps.

regards
                      Klaus

Comment

That is a great photo. Makes me whish I still owned my StG44. Klaus is bang on with these guys being VOPO. They wear the first type Schako.

Regards,

Gordon
                        Last edited by Gordon Craig; 03-20-2010, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Hm ... it's in Altglienicke (Berlin) and under the picture there is a description:
                          "Zwei Berliner Schutzpolizisten bewachen den Ausgang des Tunnels nach dessen Entdeckung"

But I have to say that BePo isn't in my collecting spectrum. So I'm sorry if I have posted something wrong. :/

>Another picture with the strap and Tschako.<
                          >And a nice rearview.<

-Martin

Comment

Yes, I read the article, but they guard to prevent people to enter from West (and their uniforms East German, as I said earlier).

The Polizisten in links you posted are obvious Westberlin Polizei. The double ring on strap is visible in first photo. Finally photo reference, but no solution to use of rings. Very interesting wear of spade on second photo. Any year for photos? I guess late 1950s.

Is there some way association member could post them in thread for reference?

Regards
                            Klaus

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gruner View Post
                              Hm ... it's in Altglienicke (Berlin) and under the picture there is a description:
                              "Zwei Berliner Schutzpolizisten bewachen den Ausgang des Tunnels nach dessen Entdeckung"

But I have to say that BePo isn't in my collecting spectrum. So I'm sorry if I have posted something wrong. :/

>Another picture with the strap and Tschako.<
                              >And a nice rearview.<

-Martin
                              Martin,

Welcome to the forum and don't worry if you have posted something that turns out to be something other than what you thought it was. That is how we all learn and that is a great photo of early VOPO in uniform and armed with WWII weapons. One that I had not seen before.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X