Question of the brustanhänger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question of the brustanhänger

I know many aspects of the German uniform from today and the past (mostly past) but one thing I have never quite covered and have always wondered about was that of the use and origin of "brustanhänger" in the bundeswehr today.

So might anyone know the historical origin of the brustanhänger and what it is used for as well as it's varying types?

Thanks and regards

It is only a badge of the respective unit the wearer belongs to, attached to the button of the right breast pocket of the uniform jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by RamJet View Post
      It is only a badge of the respective unit the wearer belongs to, attached to the button of the right breast pocket of the uniform jacket.
      Well thank you, that is quite reasonable for its intended purpose but might you know its origins as well? Is it a new addition to the German military or does it bear or resemble that of a previous tradition?

Comment

I am not sure about the time when they were introduced. I think in the 70s if I remember right.

Comment

Brustanhanger

I served with an artillery regiment in the mid 70's when these were first starting to appear. We wore the first itteration of them which was nothing more than a colored tunic patch mounted to a leather piece and we wore them on the right hand pocket of our fatigues/ Class "A"'s. Our regimental comander asked the officers if they would like the better embroidered patch to distinguish them from the enlisted. When I came back in early 81, they had the enameled badges which were much like our DUI's. Whenever we worked with the Bundeswehr, we were expected to wear them and back stateside, to show our link to a particular unit or HQ. When working with the Lux Army (all 300 of them!), I also wore one of theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kondor View Post
            I served with an artillery regiment in the mid 70's when these were first starting to appear. We wore the first itteration of them which was nothing more than a colored tunic patch mounted to a leather piece and we wore them on the right hand pocket of our fatigues/ Class "A"'s. Our regimental comander asked the officers if they would like the better embroidered patch to distinguish them from the enlisted. When I came back in early 81, they had the enameled badges which were much like our DUI's. Whenever we worked with the Bundeswehr, we were expected to wear them and back stateside, to show our link to a particular unit or HQ. When working with the Lux Army (all 300 of them!), I also wore one of theirs.
            Hmmm that's pretty interesting...But why were you expected to wear them? Out of respect to the German soldiers? And in Luxembourg too!?
            I personally like the way they look and distinguish on the uniforms. When I first saw them I believed them to be an older tradition just by their appearance on the tunic. But I suppose they are not traditional...regardless a classy addition to the German uniform if you ask me. ^^

Comment

Partnership Unit

It was our way to display partnership with a Bundeswehr unit. As we were artillery, when we went to the field with our Bundeswehr Battery, we wore german uniforms so we wouldn't give away our "nuclear signature". Back at the Kaserne, it was fatigues as usual, but transported around in Bundeswehr "kubelwagens", or MAN trucks. As far as the Lux Army went, were were augmenting the Lux staff for the purpose of bringing in US divisions through Lux city as they moved north into Germany for REFORGER.

Comment

Originally posted by Kondor View Post
                It was our way to display partnership with a Bundeswehr unit. As we were artillery, when we went to the field with our Bundeswehr Battery, we wore german uniforms so we wouldn't give away our "nuclear signature". Back at the Kaserne, it was fatigues as usual, but transported around in Bundeswehr "kubelwagens", or MAN trucks. As far as the Lux Army went, were were augmenting the Lux staff for the purpose of bringing in US divisions through Lux city as they moved north into Germany for REFORGER.
                Very cool stories ^^
                I hope it was quite memorable since REFORGER was one of the largest exercise operations they did in Europe.
                The last I had talked with an american serviceman (a marine) over his joint training with the German military he had said they were one of the best in Europe but the only thing that he didnt like was that many German officers haze their troops...a simple show of discipline never hurt anyone though in my opinion ^^
                What is your thought of the German military today in general?

Comment

Panzerartillerie Regiment 295

My Artillery Regiment in support of 10th Panzer, Sigmaringen. We went out with the Bundeswehr for REFORGER exercises and then participated in Schweramboss exercises in Bayern. We even did a joint maneuver with the French 3rd Cav at Stettin am Kalten Markt (Kalten Arsch). I had the honor of being out with our 155 Battery when we were up against the Ami's and knocking on the turret hatch of an M-60 tank to inform the commander that he and his company had been destroyed by our direct fire as they were asleep. He tried arguing the point, but a Canadian field judge hopped up and told him he and the others were in fact dead! My last service with the Bundeswehr was in 1996, so I can only speak from that. I do not have any kontakt with the troops currently deployed in Afganistan along side ours. When I served with either the field units or on staff (Army Group NORD), I found the officers and NCO's to be some of the very best. I did not witness any unjustified harrassment of the troops, however if you were screwing off, the Hauptfeld would tear into you (as he should). I was lucky to have some "Retreads" from the Wehrmacht as a young officer, so we had an opportunity to learn from combat veterans who had fought against the Russians. My regimental XO wore his 57 version of the tank assault badge with the number 50 on it. I always looked forward to my next assignment or exercise with Bundeswehr units.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X