First Model BGS Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Model BGS Uniform

The latest find to my collection is almost complete BGS first model uniform. It is of Rundbundbluse ("Round Waist Jacket" or "Ike Jacket"), Keilhose and early Bergmütze. All that misses is green shirt, tie and ankle boots but collector I buy from might help find them. This is very rare uniform, produced only 1951-54 but worn sometimes as field/work uniform until around 1956. Four pocket Dienstrock introduced 1953 to replace it.

regards
    Klaus

The Rundbundbluse and Bergmütze display with belt and K98k pouch. Jacket is rank of Oberwachtmeister. Early BGS Unterführer only carry one pouch, other space for Astra 600 holster (I still look). Cloth is rough and heavy like WW2. Colours of all three parts different but not as much as appear in photos. It is interesting that jacket have fifth button under collar but it does not work well and never seen it worn like that in photos.

Last edited by Klaus1989; 09-02-2009, 07:54 PM.

Comment

The lining of Rundbundbluse is also interesting. There is flap above waistband. Not sure for use but maybe to button to Keilhose to keep jacket down?

No date on jacket (or cap and trousers). Maker is Günter Strauch, Berlin-Schöneberg.

Cap maker is J. Heinrich Nordloh, Hamburg-Bilstedt and worn by Grenzer named Wenzel. Sweatband only in front and not all around like later Bergmützen.

Comment

Klaus - Well done! Very nice indeed....I'm speechless!

Congratulations on a top notch aquisition - I'm envious. I feel priviledged just to see the color photos which are an education in themselves.

Way to go!

TJ

Comment

Congrats on the aquiring the uniform!

Comment

Klaus,

Thanks for posting the photos of this very rare uniform. I would say that the button hole flap at the back of the jacket was to fasten it to the trousers. I wore a similar style uniform in the Canadian air force and the tunic buttoned to the rousers all around it. Only way to keep the two parts of the uniform together. Not a successful design though as the button holes in the jacket were under a lot of strain and tore at the bottom over time.

Regards,

Gordon

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
            The lining of Rundbundbluse is also interesting. There is flap above waistband. Not sure for use but maybe to button to Keilhose to keep jacket down?

No date on jacket (or cap and trousers). Maker is Günter Strauch, Berlin-Schöneberg.

Cap maker is J. Heinrich Nordloh, Hamburg-Bilstedt and worn by Grenzer named Wenzel. Sweatband only in front and not all around like later Bergmützen.

Comment

In sgtmonroe's post #307 of the BGS thread: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...252712&page=21, we can clearly see belt support hooks extending from below the waist band of this uniform, in a manner reminiscent of TR era brownshirts, or perhaps even that mystery jacket that I had posted a while ago, although subsequent photos in that series do not provide a clear view of this feature, unfortunately.

With such a high-waisted short profile, it is basically impossible for the belt to stay put on the waist band of this jacket without support hooks or suspenders, especially when the belt is laden with ammo pouches and such.

However, it is not obvious to me from the photos posted so far that this jacket has provisions for belt hooks. Perhaps They are hidden under the inner waist band? Or were the hooks simply sewn on, as they are on my mystery jacket?

Nice set!

Gene T

Comment

Gene T

Good observation. I would say that in the pictures in #307 where belt hook are not show there probably arn't any. It wouldn't make any sense to have them and not use them.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

I wondered about belt hooks in photos too. I look at my uniform but no place for them so they must be temporary sewn at commander's orders.

Thanks for information about flap, Gordon. It is what I thought. One problem with BGS version is that rear buttons are on straps (like WH Keilhose) and side buttons on waistband.

regards
                  Klaus

Comment

That is an awesome uniform!!!......mike

Comment

Incredible

Comment

Hello,

Just thought I'd post something here so that I didn't have to look at the previous posting everytime I came "on-line".

On a personal level, I have to say that this is a great uniform. Does anyone have the pants? I'm curious to see what they look like and what type of markings they have on them.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Hugh,
                          My trousers have large ink stamp but faded so I cannot read it. It should display maker and possibly date. Also size label "46" and number "253" in white (part ID number during manufacture probably). Waist band lining is green (not olive) twill material and pocket lining is brown.

I guess I should post better photos of trousers sometime.

regards
                          Klaus

Comment

Hello Klaus,

Thanks for the extra information. After I posted my message, I realized that you had already illustrated the trousers in your initial posting. Sorry for my ignorance!

I am curious, however, with respect to the nature of the trousers - Keilhose. This style would tend to limit use in an Ausgangsuniform - unless, of course, one was spending time in a ski chalet! Could it be the case that this was really a Feld-dienstuniform? I know that there is a blurr about where the police-role of the BGS left-off and the military role took over, but I cannot help but wonder if there was another uniform available to them at the time for "walking-out" purposes.

Can you shed any light on this, Klaus?

Regards,

Hugh

Comment

This was only uniform worn 1951-1953 that I know, except some type of fatigues/Arbeitsanzug possibly (not sure when they introduced). They are also worn in field until 1955 or so often with Zeltbahn over - there are photos of early military maneuvers in BGS thread. Before 1953, I am not sure they had distinct Ausgangsuniform but wore these with Schnurschuhe.

regards
                              Klaus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X