GSG9 Insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSG9 Insignia

I am not sure what they wear today, but these were given to me when I trained and worked with members of GSG9 in the mid to late '80s.
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Willi,

Thanks for posting these BGS GSG9 items. Always great to have some first hand information as to when thinsg were actually handed out.
    Could you tell something about the course you took please. I am sure it would be of interest to a number of forum members to have that information.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

GSG-9 Breast Insignia

Was going through some of my collection recently, and realized that, while BGS uniforms and helmets got a big play here, not much had been posted about the insignia of Germany's preeminent anti-terrorist unit, the GSG-9. In light of the recent passing of the unit's founder, General Ulrich Wegener, I thought I would scan some of my collection.

I saw this post from Willi, and instead of starting a new one I thought I would just add to it. The first thing I would like to list are the traditional GSG-9 breast tabs that are worn on the various uniforms.

Up first are three examples of the green tabs. The top is a uniform removed early bevo tab, while the middle shows a version used just prior to the switch to the blue uniforms. The lower one shows it on a green twill background.

[IMG]gsg9_001 by Andrew Nelson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

This second group shows two wool versions that were worn on the jacket.

The top one shows the version worn up to the rank of Hauptmeister and the bottom the version worn by the higher ranks.

[IMG]gsg9_002 by Andrew Nelson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

These are the final tabs worn by senior personnel, such as General Wegener.

[IMG]gsg9_003 by Andrew Nelson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

Bundespolizei Era

In 2005, when the BGS was re-organized and re-named the Bundespolizei, they adopted new blue uniforms. As a result the GSG-9 changed the color of their breast tabs as well.

In the attached graphic you will see the bevo version on top along with a wool version on the bottom. The wool, actually more of a felt nap, has a velcro backing.

[IMG]gsg9_004 by Andrew Nelson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

Completely forgot about this old thread. Thanks for updates and information. I might have a cloth badge somewhere as well. Obviously, that is the badge I presented, but in metal. As well as a beret emblem and some HALO wings.
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Excellent thread, thanks for sharing these pictures! (Sad to say that General Wegener passed away last week on January, 3rd 2018).

Comment

Yeah, when I saw this post, and that nothing had been added since the beginning, I thought I would just put my stuff here as well. No need for duplicate posts !!

What is very interesting for me is the metal GSG-9 breast badge you posted. I have never been able to obtain confirmation about this, nor have I ever seen a photo of it in use, so hearing that you obtained this directly from the GSG-9 was quite helpful.

The only metal badge I have seen used was the beret eagle that you posted. Also, there is a newer version of the Parachute Jump patch (in blue) and I will try to post more photos up later, as time permits.

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                  Completely forgot about this old thread. Thanks for updates and information. I might have a cloth badge somewhere as well. Obviously, that is the badge I presented, but in metal. As well as a beret emblem and some HALO wings.

Comment

GSG-9 Breast Insignia (Blue)

Just going through some photos and realized that there is a current version of the GSG-9 Breast Patch that is in yellow. Don't have it in my collection, but it is basically the same as the one I posted, blue wool, but instead of white thread it is yellow.

Comment

GSG-9 Para Wings

Adding to the original post by Willi, these are the para wings I have in my collection.

Not sure if there are any other versions. I got the green bevo just prior to the changeover to Bundespolizei, but not sure how long it had been in use.

[IMG]gsg9_para_wings by Andrew Nelson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

GSG-9 Flag Patches

The top patch is the most common version seen and is usually worn on the left arm sleeve.

However, like all things 'tactical', we are starting to see the use of the German flag in a multitude of different ways and sizes. I have seen these flag patches in all different sizes and being worn on the vests. I do not believe any of these styles are actually official, but I don't think anyone is jumping up to tell them they can be worn either.

So far I have not seen any subdued embroidered or PVC versions, but my guess is that they will appear eventually.

The patch on the bottom came from a member of the GSG-9. I am not sure if this is an official item, for wear outside of Germany, or if it falls under the unofficial, but no one is telling me to remove it. This is a bit larger than the photo (had to shrink it down slightly) and has velcro on the back, so I assume it is designed to be worn on a vest or some other type of tactical gear.

[IMG]gsg9_flags by Andrew Nelson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

GSG-9 Sniper

I was told this was a GSG-9 sniper patch, and I have no reason to doubt it, but I have also never been able to find a photo of it in actual use.

My belief is that it was done unofficially and given / traded away.

[IMG]gsg9_sniper by Andrew Nelson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

Interesting Thread! Here are the GSG9 breast tabs of my collection...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X