ScapiniMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Summer Uniforms in the Bundeswehr (Sandfarben)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more
    Attached Files

Comment

And a Bundesmarine Bordjacke with fake french cuffs ... 1968 made...:
      Attached Files

Comment

details
        Attached Files

Comment

A late one in Heer / LW design ... most intersting it has sewn in Boards..and loops for awards ...
          Attached Files

Comment

Loops ... and a before forgotten pic comparing type one and two..
            Attached Files

Comment

And as last item an early 60ies trouser. Its more or less identical to a later one ...
              Attached Files

Comment

Backside
                Attached Files

Comment

Jens,

I've spent all afternoon digging Sandfarben uniforms out of boxes and comparing them. It has been very enlightening.
                  I'd like to start by talking about the tunic you showed in post #45 and 46. The label indicates to me that this would have been the first type issued and therefore a Type 1. This type of label, at least as far as I am aware, is from the late 50's. There is no Q order number present on this label. I have a tunic exactly like the one in post 45 and 46 with the same label. It is made of a heavy weight cotton material very similar to the blue private made tropical uniforms. The date of manufacture could be indicated by the 8-9/58 on this label.
                  In his book, Schuster devides Sandfarben tunics into Type 1, with cuffs on the sleeves, and Type 2 without cuffs on the sleeves. Since he does not cover the Marine in his book he is only talking about the Luftwaffe and the Heer. To me it makes good sense to adopt his basic idea of two types. Between the pictures in this thread and my own tunics we may have to get into sub type to identify the different types of material used to make Sandfarben uniforms. To me, this is the early heavy material like that used in your tunic in posts 45 and 45, the lighter material with the large tags below the makers tag and the last type which is somewhere between the first two types of material. We may wish to list the Marine tunics as a separate type y simply calling them Marine.
                  Is that Confucing enough for you?
                  As to the trousers you posted pictures of, from pictures in Kunstwadl and Schuster's books they appear to be the first type. They have a distinct WWII designs. Watch pocket, two button flap on the front at the waist and the two extensions at the back for suspenders. All of the trousers that I have are of a much simpler design with just a metal catch at the top front, no watch pocket, and a single pocket at the right rear. I think these would be classed as a Type 1 for your trousers and Type 2 for the simplified ones that I have.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gordon, I totaly agree with you ...maybe there are three undertypes if the 195x made jackets are also of an heavy cotton fabric, subtype b of a artificial fabric and subtype c again of cotton ...
                    Jens

Comment

Gentlemen,

A few more pictures to add for reference purposes. These are pictures from my files and I do not own these uniforms.
                      The first one is a Marine uniform like the one Jens posted with the small piece at the collar end of the shoulder for the screw on buttons. Note the black tie for the navy.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The Type 2 trousers complete with the correct Marine belt. Plus some pocket detail.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Some officers tunics from my collection. Fiirst up a Luftwaffe Leutnant. Sorry for the washed out colour on the first one. Too much reflection off the snow outside my patio door.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The makers label on the Luft officers tunic and a artillery Hauptman's tunic.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Shoulder boards and collar tabs plus the label from the artillery tunic.
                              Something we haven't mentioned before. Many earlier tunics had a shoulder pad in each shoulder hed on by three press studs. These two tunics do not have these shoulder pads. I do not know when the pads were discontinued.

Regards,

Gordon
                              Attached Files

Comment

Great photos!

Ah... screw type epaulette buttons. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense vs. the method I described below (regular button + ring).

I'd love to get Type 1 trousers. Damned things are nearly impossible to find.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 38 users online. 0 members and 38 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X