FlandersMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Summer Uniforms in the Bundeswehr (Sandfarben)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jens,

Thanks for the info on my jacket. I know this is what was concluded when I first posted the pictures, but reading Gordon's initial post I began to wonder if it might be something else. Instead it appears the private purchase summer jacket was based on the Sandfarbe jacket and not before it. Makes sense to me.

I'm curious about your mid 1960s jacket. When you hold it up to a later model, then hold it up to an earlier model, do the colors match one better than the other? Do you also feel that the cloth of the mid 1960s jacket is similar to the later models and dissimilar to the earlier one?

Gordon,

I agree that it might be splitting hairs to say there is a difference between the early and late 1960s versions. However, there are distinct differences between them. Not massive, admittedly, but if someone is missing tags or trying to figure out what buttons or boards to use for a particular jacket these differences matter. Whether we, as collectors, refer to the two as "early Type 1" and "late Type 1" or "Type 1" and "Type 2" is not really important.

As an addition to Jens' comments about the Marine jackets, I have one from the 1970s (IIRC) and it is easy to distinguish from the ones used by LW and Heer. It is made of heavier fabric (100% cotton ) and has a different configuration for attaching shoulder boards. Perhaps other differences as well, but I'd have to dig it out to say for certain.

Steve

Comment

Dan,

You did real well! Hopefully you won't think you can find the matching hat and trousers so easily Gordon's BEAUTIFUL hat is exceedingly rare. I have only seen one go for sale (2008) and it sold for EUR 131,99 on eBay. At the time I had no idea how rare these hats were or I would have bid on it much harder than I did.

Steve

Comment

Yes, Dan, I only can second Steve that you made a great deal on this jacket! 24,- $ including pointed shoulderboards is a real bargain ! On german ebay the boards alone would have reached higher bids ...

To my knowledge the false french cuffs are always connected with the navy as there these dress type was used as a kind of service jacket while for Heer and LW these jackets always where dress jackets for formal service ...

If I find some spare time I´ll take out my jackets and take some pictures !

Regards,

Jens

Comment

PASSAUER8884,

Very nice Type 1 tunic in its original configuration. Very nice to find one that has not been upgraded once issued. Probably an unissued tunic that has been declared surplus hence the large A stamped on it.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Steve, I could only wish I could find the trousers and cap that easy, but I'm not betting the farm on it..

Jens, I will say that now I have this one, the one I recently purchased from you
            when it arrives will have a freind now, It wont get lonley amongst all the grey and green!

Comment

BTW, this is a great picture from Dan of what appears to be unique pre 1963 jacket tags. If the material changed in 1963 (or perhaps a bit later) as I suspect it did, it would explain why the tag is not found on later versions.

Jens, the fake cuffs makes a lot of sense if the jacket is used for actual work. True double cuffs can easily snag on things. Not a problem for Ausgehen purposes.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by PASSAUER8884 View Post
                Steve, I could only wish I could find the trousers and cap that easy, but I'm not betting the farm on it..

Jens, I will say that now I have this one, the one I recently purchased from you
                when it arrives will have a freind now, It wont get lonley amongst all the grey and green!

...and if you like there is a quick oportunity to get model # also ... If I don`t forget you`ll get some pictures ... and for model #3 there are also lots of trousers and shirts available ...

Regards,

Jens

Comment

Originally posted by PASSAUER8884 View Post

...and if you like there is a quick oportunity to get model # also ... If I don`t forget you`ll get some pictures ... and for model #3 there are also lots of trousers and shirts available ...

Regards,

Jens

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
                    Jens,

Thanks for the info on my jacket. I know this is what was concluded when I first posted the pictures, but reading Gordon's initial post I began to wonder if it might be something else. Instead it appears the private purchase summer jacket was based on the Sandfarbe jacket and not before it. Makes sense to me.

I'm curious about your mid 1960s jacket. When you hold it up to a later model, then hold it up to an earlier model, do the colors match one better than the other? Do you also feel that the cloth of the mid 1960s jacket is similar to the later models and dissimilar to the earlier one?

Gordon,

I agree that it might be splitting hairs to say there is a difference between the early and late 1960s versions. However, there are distinct differences between them. Not massive, admittedly, but if someone is missing tags or trying to figure out what buttons or boards to use for a particular jacket these differences matter. Whether we, as collectors, refer to the two as "early Type 1" and "late Type 1" or "Type 1" and "Type 2" is not really important.

As an addition to Jens' comments about the Marine jackets, I have one from the 1970s (IIRC) and it is easy to distinguish from the ones used by LW and Heer. It is made of heavier fabric (100% cotton ) and has a different configuration for attaching shoulder boards. Perhaps other differences as well, but I'd have to dig it out to say for certain.

Steve
                    Steve,

If there really differences in these tunics then I would agree to more "types". However, I haven't seen any differences in the method of attaching shoulder boards in any of the tunics I have handled. They have all simply had a loop at the shoulder end and a button sewn into place to hold the shoulder board in place. I would very much like to see pictures of the differences that you mention.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
                      BTW, this is a great picture from Dan of what appears to be unique pre 1963 jacket tags. If the material changed in 1963 (or perhaps a bit later) as I suspect it did, it would explain why the tag is not found on later versions.

Jens, the fake cuffs makes a lot of sense if the jacket is used for actual work. True double cuffs can easily snag on things. Not a problem for Ausgehen purposes.

Steve

Steve,

I have a tunic with a tag like this. The tunic is dated 1961. The material in these tunics seems to be of a finer quality, and of a lighter type material, than some I think are from an earlier time period. We need a lot more pictures of tunics accompanied by pictures of the makers labels and comments on what type of material they are made of.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gordon I also think that this label is conected with a special type of fabric used on early 60ies summer suit ... here it is again in my white jacket:

...and its also in my type 1 sandcoloured jacket which is also from the arly 60ies...

Jens

Comment

Nice shot Jens!

Gordon,

From feel I am quite sure the material used in the pre 1963 jackets is different from 1963 onward. The labels on the pre 1963 jackets is something I've not seen on later jackets and is most likely specific to a particular type of fabric.

The Marine jacket I have is 100% cotton, which is not what any of my Sandfarbe jackets are made out of. I don't have the jacket handy, but here's the differences in how the shoulder boards are attached:

"Standard" Sandfarbe... loop at shoulder seam. A button near neck, as with most other BRD uniforms (be it Polizei, BGS, BW, etc.)

Marine Sandfarbe... loop at shoulder seam. Where the button usually goes is a 5 sided piece of cloth sewn onto the top of the shoulder. The point goes towards the neck, the opposite side is not stitched to the shoulder. There is a hole in the top. The button shank is pushed through the hole and secured using a ring via the open end of the flap. This method of button attachment is like all the other buttons on a Sandfarbe jacket's pockets and front.

I have no idea if this was particular to a 1970s model or if the practice came before then and/or was continued after.

When I have a chance I'll take some pictures.

Steve
                          Last edited by Collectinsteve; 02-12-2011, 01:30 AM.

Comment

O.K., here we go ... model # 1 is definetely made from an other fabric then model # 2 from the mid 60ies ...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Details ... the Grenni tabs seem to be originally applied, the boards are from my stock as the tunic came without ...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Modell 2, slightly different in colour (more orange ?!?) and as I think made from a cotton fabric instead of a syntetic fabric as mod 1 . The jacket came in stripped, depending on the stitching holes it once had Luftwaffe tabs. As there were no traces of a piping it must have been a EM jacket. As I´m a Heer guy I made it up as Uffz d. Artillerie ...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 41 users online. 0 members and 41 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X