BunkerMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gebirgsjaeger in Photographs-uniforms etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gebirgsjaeger in Photographs-uniforms etc.

Gentlemen,

We don't seem to have started a thread on Gebeirgsjaeger and I am sure there is a lot of interest inthis elite group. I am going to start off the thread by posting a picture that I acquired recently. It came in a group of photographs I bought at a militaria show about a month ago. Most of the photos seem to have oroginally come from Warsaw Pact archives, mostly from the DDR, and the captions on the back reflect this "bias". I am not sure where this one came from but I suspect from the DDR. The caption is dated 18.2.1957 and says:
    "In the Central Forest at the foot of the Karwendelgebirges West German Mountain Troopers are trained - 1956"
    What else can you add?

Regards,

Gordon
    Attached Files

Gordon - I'll go ahead and take a stab.

Based on the uniforms it would appear as though this picture was taken c.1956-57. At this time, the headquarters of the 1. Gebirgsdivision was located in Mittenwald, a small town in the Bavarian Alps.

It looks as though an Unteroffizier is taking his charges on a short hike. The trainees are wearing helmet liners only and the olive drab fatigue uniform (arbeitsanzug). They are carrying M-1 carbines provided by the U.S.A. under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program (MDAP).

It's interesting to note that the NCO is wearing a dress uniform, no doubt to distinguish himself immediately from the trainees and to present a smart appearance to the the impressionable youngsters.

I've decided to add a photo of my own.

In my photo, one can see the specially developed climbers helmet discussed by Ludwig Baer (was it plastic or metal?) in his wonderful book. Note also the Mountain Guide Badge worn by the climber closest to the camera.

I'm not familiar with the uniform they are wearing; is it standard fatigues with the the collar tucked under or something else?

What else can you see?

TJ
    Attached Files

Comment

TJ,

This photo appears in Hormann's book that he published in 1987. Your photo has been cropped slightly from the one in the book but there has been no significant parts lost. He identifies the jacket as the "Skibluse der Gebirgsjaeger".

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Not really in the period-photo category but here are my two early BW Bergmützen -- one officer and the other the enlisted version -- alongside a wartime pattern Bergmütze in Trikot fabric.

Comment

Chris,

Your hats fit just fine. I didn't intend to limit this thread to any specific BW time frame. The wider the time frame we get in pictures or photos the better reference we will have.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gents,

Time for me to post pictures of the two Gebirgsjaeger caps from my collection.
            First up, a generals bergmutz. These caps are distinctive not only because of the gold accessories but due to the very light colour of grey of the material.

Regards,

Gordon
            Attached Files

Comment

A side view.
              Attached Files

Comment

A closer view of the insignia.
                Attached Files

Comment

The otherl Bergrmutz in my collection.
                  Attached Files

Comment

A side view.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The makers label.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice pics, anyone have an interest in seeing the insignia used by their police counterparts in the Bundespolizei (BGS) and Bavarian Police ?

Let me know.

Andrew

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X