Bonn Bundesviertel Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bonn Bundesviertel Trip

The reason I have been absent from this forum for past month is that I was in Germany. Mostly I was very busy but on weekends, I had time off to visit surrounding cities in NRW. Of course, I had to visit Bonn! I thought I would share some of my photos so other members can see how Bundesviertel ("Government Quarter") looks today.

regards
    Klaus

The first is photo Bundesadler on gates of Villa Hammerschmidt, the residence of the Bundespräsident, along Adenauer-Allee. It is still his secondary residence, so off limits to visitors most times (except week after I was in Bonn for 60 Years BRD). Matching Adler on other side. House was obscured by trees.

Next to Villa Hammerschmidt are Palais Schaumburg and Neue Bundeskanzlerei, both off-limits to public because government offices are still there. No photos of these building unfortunately because trees and fences make it difficult.

Near to these buildings is the old Bundeshaus complex. The Bundeshaus contains both Bundesrat and Bundestag. The old Bundesrat is still German government property (I think). Note German and EU flags.

The wing that housed the Bundestag is now home to TNT Logistik. No photo of Neues Plenarsaal (to right of this building) but it also still stands. As one can see, everything was almost deserted.

Bonn Wasserwerk ("Parlamentsaal" under Bundesregierung use), which housed the Bundestag until Neues Plenarsaal was completed in 1992 (just in time to move to Berlin!). This building faces Rhein. Gold lettering on wall reads "Deutscher Bundestag."

On end of Bundeshaus complex is the Abgeordnetenhaus or "Altes Hochhaus." This building housed offices of Bundestag representatives. It is currently being renovated for UN officials. Good depiction of how poor condition Bundesviertel is.

Comment

Lastly is Tulpenfeld, which is basically large field of very ugly government buildings! Most housed various Bundestag staff offices. One was the better known Pressehaus for German and foreign press agencies in Bonn (not in photo). Most today house Deutsche Post offices. I was only person there that day!

The 18-floor Tulpenfeld-Hochhaus, which formerly housed various federal government offices. Today home to Bundesnetzagentur, which is agency of Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Technologie that overseas deregulation of federal infrastructure.

Comment

Klaus,

Thanks for giving us a look at the BRD governemnts past home. Long time since I have been there. I imagine that a lot of the vacated foreign Embassy buildings are not in very good shape either.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Not sure about embassy buildings, because I did not visit them but do know that many countries mantain consulates in Bonn. Possibly where their old embassy was?

Of course, some ministries are still in Bonn (including Bundesministerium für Verteidigung and Bundespolizei which I did not visit obviously) and buildings are in good shape there. From what I could see of Villa Hammerschmidt and Neue Bundeskanzlerei, they do not look much different than photos from Bonn's time as Bundeshauptstadt.

regards
          Klaus

Comment

Klaus - Very nice pictures.

It's great to have you back!

TJ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X