Attaching a shoulderboard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attaching a shoulderboard...

I thought it was dead easy to attach a shoulderboard to an uniform jacket. Just slip the bottom part through the loop and push the button through both sides. It wasn't...

Shoulder loop?

What kind of board is attached to that? It would be easy to cut a hole in there, but before I go shredding an "expensive" jacket, I'd like to know how is that flap used.

Shoulderboards which are usually sewn in are sewn on this tongues to save time and money. Used on tunics coming from military stock, private purchased ones are of better tailor quality.

Comment

acmer there are 2 style shoulder boards Sew-in and slip on. The tunic you picture is regular military stock and would take the Sew-in style.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by acmer View Post
        I thought it was dead easy to attach a shoulderboard to an uniform jacket. Just slip the bottom part through the loop and push the button through both sides. It wasn't...

Shoulder loop?

What kind of board is attached to that? It would be easy to cut a hole in there, but before I go shredding an "expensive" jacket, I'd like to know how is that flap used.
        Acmer,

I've seen lots of tunics like this and I normally don't even bother looking at them because of the probable problems in sewing on a set of shoulderboards. As a consequence, I had never investigated how the boards were actually attached to the tab at the shoulder seam. So, I went and had a look at one of my tunics with this kind of shoulderboard attachment system and it shouldn't be too difficult to sew on a set of boards. I've posted pictures below to illustrate how I think it could be done relatively easily.
        Step one; if the button is still there, put the button through the buton hole. Unless, of coarse, the board is flexible enough for it to be sewn into placed first and then buttoned on at the collar end;
        Step two; position the shoulder seam end of the board where it should sit and then start hand sewing it into place. The sewing is done down both sides of the shoulderboard through the tab below it. My board only has three or four large stitches to hold it in place.
        NOTE: If the shoulderbaords needs to have metal rank insignia reattached, this should be done before it is put on the uniform.
        Good luck in replacing the boards.

Regards,

Gordon
        Attached Files

Comment

The boards as viewed from the end.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for the tips. Sewing might be the best way, like Gordon Craig said. Of course having the correct boards would be even better.

Unfortunately, I'm tired of sewing for a while and I think I'll just rip holes to the flaps.

The jacket cost me 1e and it doesn't even fit me, so not much is lost. It's just a base for my badge collection.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X