No announcement yet.

The MiG 29 in service with the BW Luftwaffe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post #13, other way round. The backseater of the F/A-18D also had a camera, the MiG-29 was something special in these times nearly 15 years ago.
    This is the only pic I have of me flying in the FULCRUM. I just open (or close, I don't remember) my helmet visor.

Comment

And a two-ship in May 1998. You see the difference of a good slow colour slide film with a pro camera/lens system compared to the pic taken as snapshot with high ASA negative film by the Marine backseater above:

Comment

Night flight, April 2004:

Comment

If the thread starts to get boring with all the aircraft pics just tell me, will You?

Comment

I'd be interested to know what the Bundesluftwaffe thinks of this jet, its avionics, performance and weapons. Has any live missile firing taken place yet, like at Decimommanu?
            WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Originally posted by RamJet View Post
              If the thread starts to get boring with all the aircraft pics just tell me, will You?
              I'm not bored ... Please, keep posting!

Comment

Originally posted by Gene View Post
                I'd be interested to know what the Bundesluftwaffe thinks of this jet, its avionics, performance and weapons. Has any live missile firing taken place yet, like at Decimommanu?

Oh, hi Gene, nice to meet You here!

Look at post #3 of this thread for life firing ...

To put the Luftwaffe meaning in the shortest statement possible:

"The MiG-29 is the ideal point defender, if the point to defend is the own air base."

So briefed in the 90s for high-ranking NATO visitors.

Endurance was the main problem. Had few flights in the FULCRUM which last one hour plus in spite of flying usually with a centerline tank (which covered the cartridge ejector so that You couldn't use the cannon with the tank under the belly). And You have a non state-of-the-art radar and therefore a much less situational awareness than in contemporary Western jets. On the other side, You had a reliable helmet-mounted visor (in the early 90s!), a really great airframe and engines to put You in every position in the air You want. Compared to the F-15, the MiG-29 could turn tight with sustained speed in regions where the Eagle is loosing speed. If You have to fight a FULCRUM with a Western jet, do it on distance. If the MiG-29 manages to close in, You loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C. View Post
                  I'm not bored ... Please, keep posting!

Will do so until someone stops me ...

Comment

My favourite FULCRUM shot:

Up we go in the wild blue yonder ...

Comment

My favorite too!

Absolutely breathtaking.

Thanks - TJ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X