The MiG 29 in service with the BW Luftwaffe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an edit after the article was posted and the first comments were made. I had intended to make this dsclaimer originally but got lazy and didn't do it at the initiation of the thread. What I have said below is not first hand researcj and I have done what I could to sunstantiate what I wrote but there are bound to be mistakes from secondary research. Since we have a member of the squadron with us, and making comments below, perhaps we can have a thread that gives first hand accounts of the MiG 29 in the BW Luftwaffe from those who were there. My applogese in advance for any erors I have made.

Effective midnight October 2, 1990, the Bundeswehr became the owners of all of the military hardware of the DDR NVA. Because of the Limitation of Forces Treaty the vast majority of this NVA equipment had to be sold or destroyed. Of all of the Soviet aircraft then on inventory of the NVA Luftsteitkrรคfte only the MiG 29 entered service with the BW Luftwaffe. The NVA squadron of MiG 29s, based at Lagge, remained intact and was absorbed in total by the BW Luftwaffe as JG3. However, the training, of the NVA pilots and the tactical role they had used previously did not fit with the BWs tactical plans. For example, Soviet doctrine called for a rigid flight plan totally controlled from the ground. The NVA pilots were not trained, indeed they were discouraged from, using any initiative of their own. Most combat mission training would see the aircraft climb quickly to cruising altitude to conserve fuel en-route to their destination. The pilot would complete his assigned tasks and return to his base while fully under the control of those on the ground. Soviet aircraft were designed to meet the Soviet tactical thinking of the day. The BW Luftwaffe, on the other hand, were directed to the location of their mission by ground control radar but once they arrived they were pretty much allowed to carry out their mission in the best way they could. It didn’t take the BW Luftwaffe long to find out that the ex NVA pilots were more interested in their own agendas than in those of the air force. It didn’t help, that after the STASI files were opened they revealed that seven of the JG3 pilots had been employed as informants by the STASI. These seven were released very quickly and the remainder of the ex NVA pilots followed shortly thereafter.
    The ground crew were a different matter. Following the dismissal of the pilots they were heavily screened and only those who passed this screening remained with the BW Luftwaffe. Since all of the MiG 29 manuals were in Russian retaining these trained maintenance personnel was critical to keeping the MiGs in the air. BW Luftwaffe maintenance personnel were sent to JG3 for on-the-job training on the MiG 29s while the plane’s manuals were translated into German. A task that took two years. Some manuals were acquired from the Soviets but they were sent in Russian and not in English which was the practice when MiG 29s were sold outside of the Soviets Union.
    BW Pilots were sent to the squadron, now known as JG73, to pilot the MiG 29s. Before they could fly the aircraft the designations on the flight instruments had to be changed from Russian to German. Some other modifications were made to the communications equipment and the laser range finder used in the MiG 29 was disabled as it was considered a danger to those on the ground and in the air.
    Retaining the MiG 29 was a political decisions, and implementing this decision proved to be a difficult job for the BW Luftwaffe. Pilot training had to be a problem and I am not exactly sure how this was managed. The MiG 29 test equipment used by the squadron had been allowed to deteriorate to such an extent that most of it did not work when it was absorbed by the BW Luftwaffe. Having it repaired was costly and time consuming. Maintenance schedules, as laid out in the manufacturers specifications of the aircraft, required engine overhaul and airframe maintenance at unacceptably low levels. Much time and effort was spent by the BW Luftwaffe in redesigning them to increase the length of time between these mandatory maintenance checks/overhauls while keeping them within safe and acceptable monetary limits.
    Some other pressures on the BW Luftwaffe, and the squadron itself, were;
    1- Frequent requests by other NATO air forces to schedule combat trials with their aircraft against those of the MiG 29s. The MiG 29 proved to be a very formidable weapon when freed of the restrictions of the Soviet Unions and flown by experienced BW Lufwaffe pilots. These trial combat missions were not necessarily indicative of how a NATO forces would have faired in a fight with a Soviet MiG 29 because JG73 flew their aircraft in a totally different tactical manner than a Soviet pilot would have. Besides, it was embarrassing when the MiGs won most of the duels. Eventually heavy restrictions were placed on the MiG 29 pilots to compensate when the MiG29s did participate in a simulated combat situation.
    2-Russia was keen to promote the sale of MiG 29s to NATO countries and often "distorted" the operational performance data released by the BW Luftwaffe so they had to be very careful in what they published, or said verbally, about the aircraft.
    However, the BW Luftwaffe was able to over come, or mitigate, all of the obstacles inherited in adopting the MiG 29 and it was a valuable tool in their arsenal until sold to the Rumanian air force.

The photos below were taken by a USAF photographer who's name I recorded when I stored the pictures but I could not find his name this morning. That is what I get for cleaning off my desk last night! Anyway, the photos were taken in 2003 during live firing exercises over the Gulf of Mexico. If I remember correctly, the MiG in most of the picture was being flown by the Colonel in command of the squadron.

Regards,

Gordon
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Gordon Craig; 05-27-2009, 05:00 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Firing an AA-10.
      Attached Files

Comment

The tunic shown below is one of the best in my BW Luftwaffe collection. It came from a retired U.S. Special Forces Major who had acquired it from the original owner during a tour in Germany. It came to me just the way you see it. There are indications that there was a ribbon bar above the left breast pocket at one time but it was not there when I acquired the tunic.
        Attached Files

Comment

A close up of the Geschwader Steinhoff cuffband. Done in very high relief metallic thread.
          Attached Files

Comment

The squadron crest suspended from the right breast pocket with pilots badges for BW Lufwaffe and USAF above it.
            Attached Files

Comment

The shoulder boards and the collar tabs.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Gordon,

nice thread!

But while reading Your initial post very fast (I have go to work now), I found some mistakes: The NVA pilots didn't leave at all, a bunch of them stayed until the squadron was disbanded and works now in higher German or NATO HQs. Actually the number between former East and West German pilots was balanced most of the time the unit flew the FULCRUM. The cockpit instrumentation was exchanged for the standard english-reading gauges. And we handed them over to Poland, not Romania. I can guarantee that, as I was in the backseat of 29+22 on one ferry flight in December 2003 ... I acted as Public Affairs Officer in JG 73 "Steinhoff" (not JG-3, that was the NVA MiG-29 wing) during my annual reserve exercises ...

Also I was lucky enough to get two flights already in NVA time in 1990 on the MiG-29 (for pics see the NVA forum, thread "LSK/LV MiGs")

Here is a pic I took of a bird we brought to the ILA 1998 fully armed for exhibition:

The uniform could be from Oberst "Pitt" Hauser, the last MiG-29 CO of the wing. Will ask him.

Have to go now, have a nice day, later more.
                Steve
                Last edited by RamJet; 05-27-2009, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for the correction. My reference material must have been flawed about the fate of the NVA pilots. My mistake on who got that aircraft. I'll leave the article as it is since you have pointed out the errors. This thread was inspired by the one you did on the DDR Forum. Some superb photos there. Be interesting if the uniform pictured did belong to Pitt Hauser. Can not remember the name of the chap I got the uniform from. That is packedaway with my notes in storage in Ottawa. Another great photo of the MiG 29. Thanks very much for your additional comments. Great to have someone who actually belonged to the squadron take part.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Plan view:

Pic taken in May 1994. Aircraft just got fresh paint. The birds looked much more worn in the end of their German career.

Comment

Steve,

Nice "plane" view. A question for you. What kind/type of helmets did the BW Luftwaffe wear when flying the MiG 29? That is a question that has hanuted me for some time. The NVA wore the Zsh 7 which worked with the oxygen mask (KMO34?) in the 29. I suppose any helmet can be modified to work with any oxygen mask but military aircraft have a specific man-machine interface that requires the helmet (communications), oxygen mask (compatible with the system in the plane), ejection seat (compatible with the oxygen mask) all work together. You can only perform so many modification to a plane before it becomes self defeating because of the cost. I am also curious about the target acquisition system used in the 29 by the BW Luftwaffe. Since it would appear the DDR MiGs were equipped with a laser ranging device they were obviously not equipped with the latest Soviet technology when it came to the weapons system. As usual, more questions than answers.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gordon,

we used the standard HGU-55/G with the MBU-5/P and later the HA/LP mask. My helmet was converted within less than an hour or so from standard NATO to MiG-29 mode when I was going to fly with the FULCRUM. If I remember right, the flight equipment people changed something in the electrical system of the earphones of the helmet. The mask also has the different electrical system for the mike and a different connection for the oxygen supply. The man/machine interface in this generation of jets is a only a board with hose connection for oxygen and a connection for the radio ... The connection between the K-36 seat and this board was unchanged.

Additionally the helmets of the MiG-29 pilots were equipped with the mounting for the helmet sight. That worked independently from the helmet.

The laser system was not used in Luftwaffe service as it was not allowed to beam with it in Western airspace.

Regarding Your uniform: May I see a close-up of the US wing? Should be a standard command pilot wing but it looks more like a WSO wing. That would mean that it was replaced - or that the whole compound was put together.

Regards,
                        Steve

Comment

And a pic:

1995 when we (the MiG-29 squadron) worked for the first time with USMC jets over Germany.
                          Last edited by RamJet; 05-28-2009, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Steve - Beautiful and unique photographs!

Vielen Dank!

TJ

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for your response and the info on the helmet worn in the MiG 29 by the BW Luftwaffe.
                              You were correct about the USAF wings on my uniform. They are for a WSO. I knew nothing about USAF wings until you made your suggestion. I have since done some quick research and this opens up a whole new topic and I will start a thread on it shortly.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X