Bundeswehr Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bundeswehr Helmet

I have had this helmet in the shed for years and am looking to get rid of it. I need to know what model this is called and what would be a reasonable asking price. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

outside
    Attached Files

Comment

Hmmmm.... I must assume that this section doesn't get visited much, 2 days and no one recognizes what this helmet is? I am pretty sure it is Bundeswehr West German.

Comment

Hi DennyB,

I am pretty sure it is West German, but not Bundeswehr.

Please try it with Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS):

http://www.stahlhelmjaeger.de/bgs.html

Uwe

Comment

DennyB - Sorry man, busy holiday weekend.

As Uwe alluded to, this style of helmet was manufactured for the West German Border Guard (Bundesgrenzschutz) and certain Polizei units.

Collectors sometimes refer to it as the Model 1935/53 or M35/53. I have the exact same helmet in my collection. I paid $35.00 for it ten years ago. The dealer told me that gray helmets such as these were made for the West Berlin paramilitary police force (Bereitschaftpolizei). I later came across a Bereitschaftpolizei auction lot on Manion's that contained an M35/53 in gray just like ours. The ventless models weren't very popular with the troopers as there was considerable heat build-up reported in warm weather conditions.

There's usually a couple of M35/53s on E-bay at any given time. I'd look to see what they're getting for them there and price accordingly. I'd market it to WH re-enactors (it would look good under a repro helmet cover) as well as Cold War era collectors.

TJ
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you both very much.

Comment

Forum Members - If the M35/53 is in your area of interest (plus para helmets & other BRD rarities), check out this thread that Gordon started back in 2007:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=251101

All the best - TJ

Comment

TJ,

Thanks for bringing this helmet thread back to life. It is amazing how much one forgets after a couple of years!

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X