KSK Serval Special OPs vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KSK Serval Special OPs vehicle

Gents - the Rheinmetall Serval, a Light Infantry Vehicle for Special Operations (LIV[SO]) developed for the Kommando Spezialkraefte(KSK), was the feature vehicle for the March 2009 edition of "Military Machines" magazine.

If the new and modern Bundeswehr is your area of interest, then I would highly recommend this detail crammed article by Ralph Zwilling.

The vehicle takes it name from the African Wild Cat. Here are some key features of the KSK Serval:
    Chassis: Mercedes-Benz G 280 CDI
    Range: 800 km
    Engine: MT 270 EURO III 5-Cylinder Diesel
    Armament: 1 M2 12.7mm Machine Gun or 1 H&K 40mm Automatic grenade launcher; 2 x 7.62 MG3 machine guns

Gerry can collectors (we know you're out there) note the yellow tops on the diesel gerry cans.

All-in-all a very impressive vehicle developed from combat lessons learned by KSK personnel deployed to Afghanistan.

TJ
    Attached Files

A rear view of the KSK Serval. All pictures are from the March 2009 edition of "Military Machines" magazine.
    Attached Files

Comment

The vehicle driver. He is wearing a MOLLE plate carrier and is armed with an H&K 9mm P8 pistol. His headgear consists of a TC-2002 MICH Helmet, Peltor Com Tac XS Headset & Bolle X-800R Goggles.

Not one detail of vehicle or crew equipment was overlooked by the "Military Machines" editorial staff or author Ralph Zwilling.

TJ
      Attached Files

Comment

TJ,

Interesting vehicle. The comment about the yellow tops on the Gerry cans is also of interest. While doing some research related to the recent comments on Gerry cans in Hugh's Type 181 I found some cans for sale on the internet with yellow tops the same as shown in the picture you posted. This raises the question of the purpose of painting them yellow. Does the article mention why?

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,

Yellow-topped cans.......mmm. I like Thomas' comment:-

"........ note the yellow tops on the diesel gerry cans".

The colour is evidently there for a purpose. In the Australian Army (back in the 1970's) we marked 'cans as being either diesel or ordinary (petrol) fuel, ie. by the expedient of affixing stickers. Which brings me back to my question about the "K" on my can..........

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Hugh,

Ok so I cann't read! Diesel Gerry cans then in the BW for diesel.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

"Which brings me back to my question about the "K" on my can.........."

Hugh, I think K could stand for Kerosene which is frequently used as fuel for heating stoves in the military.

Cheers
              Erik

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X