Current Uniforms/Translation Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Uniforms/Translation Help Needed

I was viewing the following PDF file on the Bundeswehr website just to see if any drastic changes had occurred since the last time I looked (several years ago).

I did come across one item that has me a bit confused and I'm sure it has more to do with my translation of German into English. On page 23 (24 of 39, if navigating within Acrobat) there is a photo showing an enlisted sailor in both summer and winter uniforms. The caption for the photo reads, "Grundform des Dienstanzugs Marine für Mannschaften bis zur Vollendung des 30. Lebensjahres"

Am I correct in that the caption is referring to a uniform combination for sailors older than 30 years? In viewing the group photo on the previous page, the only difference I can see are the different cap tallies -- most of the group appear to have tallies for their ships and/or schools as compared to the "Deutsche Marine" tally worn by this Matrose.

http://www.bundeswehr.de/fileserving...itory=youatweb

Originally posted by SprogCollector View Post

Am I correct in that the caption is referring to a uniform combination for sailors older than 30 years? ...
    Younger than...

Comment

For future, here's 3 translators that I use:

PROMT
      Google
      Babelfish

Promt is my favorite, but sometimes even that gives weird translations. For reference here are the translations of "Grundform des Dienstanzugs Marine für Mannschaften bis zur Vollendung des 30. Lebensjahres"

Promt:
      Basic form of the service dress navy for teams up to the completion of the 30th year

Google:
      Basic form of service for Navy teams suit up to the completion of the 30th Birthday

Babelfish:
      Basic form of the service uniform navy for crews up to the completion 30. Year of life

Comment

Thanks for your replies!

I guess my next question would then ask what uniform is worn by junior enlisted ranks over the age of 30?

Comment

Hi,

you don't trust my translation, PM sent on 05-14-2009, 12:41?

Uwe

Comment

Sorry Uwe. I read your PM after I had posted this.

Still a very strange uniform requirement. Obviously different uniforms for various ranks make sense. Different uniforms based on age is something I've not seen before.

In looking at the photos, I'm still not sure what the difference between the younger-than-30 and over-30 uniforms. The only difference I can see is the cap tallies.
            Last edited by SprogCollector; 05-16-2009, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Using the 1996 dress regulations, I think I've answered my own question.
              http://www.pumakompanie.de/HTML_dat/...eien/37_10.pdf

Sailors younger than 30 years wear the traditional sailor uniform with Tellermütze, etc.

Sailors older than 30 wear a uniform similar to that worn by NCOs and officers (reefer jacket).

This is from the descriptions beginning on page 64

Comment

If you can find out why the age is 30, the case would be closed

In Finland you must step into service before the age of 28. If you for some reason are injured or otherwise unable to go to military service, you don't have to go there after turning 28.

In leistungsabzeichen there are altersklassen. The age limits for those are:

AK1 18-29, AK2 30-39, AK3 40-44, AK4 45-49, AK5 50-54, AK6 55-59

Maybe it has something to do with that. At 30 you're past your prime and are probably considered "senior". Or maybe there's some mechanics that you are inevitably an NCO when you are 30 and in the military.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X