Zoll Uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve,

I am going to leave the picture as it is. I tried reducing it to a jpeg last night and you lose a lot of the detail. I'll post it elsewhere as a jpeg. Thanks for listing your ideas of time frame for the uniforms. I have a couple of comments. I've never heard of a "white dining tunic" before. I've always associated the white tunics with traffic police. Perhaps they were used for both purposes? The blue uniform on the right is probably for a Stadt police officer. Here is a url to Huntsman's site showing several Stadt arm badges.

http://huntzmanpatches.com/Germany_Bavaria_Stapo(C).htm

Cheers,

Gordon

Comment

Gordon is correct. Blue uniform is correct for Stadtpolizei and white tunic is pre1976 Verkehrspolizei (high visiblility for the Polizisten who stand at street intersections - these do not exist anymore I think). Good that the interesting jacket was identified. It was one of two Bayern Polizei items misidentified as Zoll!

To Zoll topic again, I found this interesting early Bundesarchiv photo recently in "BGS" search. Description is "Deutsch-deutsche Grenze bei Heldra, Beamter des Bundesgrenzschutz am Schreibtisch sitzend (bei Passkontrolle?)" but I think they might be Zollbeamte. Photo is dated 1952 and man at table has rectangle collar tabs with metal things and no shoulderboards. He also wear Bundeskokarde on cap (which is identical to early BGS), so they are not Bayerische Grenzpolizei.

regards
      Klaus

Comment

Klaus,

Thanks for the confirmation about the white jacket and the blue uniform. Last night I found some other solid white traffic uniforms worn by Berlin Polizei during President Kennedy's visit. The uniform in question was a pure white double breasted motorcycle uniform. Really silly looking Which is probably why they stopped the practice other than the hat and other accessories.

Gordon,

I had guessed a dinner uniform because I've seen such uniforms in the German past. The one that comes immediately to mind is Schutzstaffel "waiter's jacket" that was worn by Hitler's domestic staff. But I guess there really isn't that much of a tradition of such uniforms so it was a stretch

Steve

Comment

Gentlemen,

Time to resurect this Zoll thread. Klaus has sent me an email as a result of his visit to the Deutsches Zoll museum in Hamgurg. It helps put some dates on hats etc. as a result of his visit.

"Hallo Gordon,
          I have been absent from WAF for awhile because I occupy myself with studies at the university in Oldenburg since September. In Febraruary I should be back. But I wanted to write this, otherwise I forget! Before a couple weeks, I was in Hamburg and had time to visit the Deutsches Zoll Museum there. A display with Schirmmützen gives the dates for West German Zoll Schirmmützen models: 1956-1972 (Bundesadler in wreath with kokarde above) and 1972-1996 (only kokarde in wreath, wire bullion). After 1996 is same, but metal instead. It is also stated that new uniforms were introduced 1972 at time of Olympics in München after Zöllner had a choice. This is blazer-style uniform (jacket and cap I sold you). Before was 4 pocket tunic with Kragenspiegel. There is also Schirmmütze with woven Bundesadler in wreath in recruitment ads from ca. 1970, but not sure when introduced. Before 1956 is not mentioned about uniforms. Only complete uniforms for West German Zoll were womens uniform from ca. 1970 and current uniform. The best uniform displays were from earlier times."
          We owe Klaus a big THANK YOU for this information. Pretty much rounds out the info on the Zoll.
          I have somme more things to add myself. A picture of the Zoll touque and some collar tabs from the 60s(?). Regards,

Gordon
          Attached Files

Comment

Collar tabs.
            First - Zoll Inspektor
            Second - Zoll Sekretar
            The question remains about the difference in the collour of the piping and the stars. Why silver on some and green on others. Different pay grades?
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Gordon,

Skip down a couple of posts to what I discovered looking at my old BGS soldier's manual. The silver edged/stared ranks are higher, the green edged/stared ranks are lower. Similar to how the standardized Bundespolizei ranks work, except there was no third grade (i.e. gold, silver, green).

Steve

Comment

Steve,

That is what I thought would be the case. Thanks for your response.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Here is what I think (hope) is a zoll feldmütze by Alkero.
                  All the best,
                  kees
                  Attached Files

Comment

Kees,

Looks like Zoll to me. One I haven't seen before.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

I agree... Zoll is the obvious choice for this. I think it's very safe to assume it is unless we hear something to the contrary.

Steve

Comment

Thank you gentlemen,I'm glad I selected the right thread .
                        All the best,
                        Kees

Comment

Here is a rare uniform from West German customs
                          Attached Files

Comment

Uncle Kurt,

A new one to add to my list. Thanks for the pictures.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

WW2 Issue Zoll Cap

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
                              #3.

This may be a WW2 vintage cap used postwar. Note the cap lining and sweat band.

D.

Comment

Hans Beierlein badges

For me an unknown maker until now.
                                The hats themselves were to salty to bring but luckily these badges come of real easy.
                                The small one came of a hat like the one in post 16.
                                The larger one from an all green visor with cloth covered brim.

Kees
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X