Zoll Uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoll Uniforms

Recently I had oppurtunity to acquire large number of Zoll uniform items very cheap. Most date from 1960s-'70s. The Bundeszollverwaltung or "Federal Customs Administration" of West Germany is very overlooked collecting field. There seems to be little to go by in terms of reference.

First up is 1950s Zoll Officer Schirmmütze. The Kokarde and wreath are bullion and the visor is fabric-covered leather. Unfortunately no date but this is first pattern cap that was changed in early 1960s (I think).

Maker's label. Hard to see because of flash but maker is Carl Isken, Köln:
    Last edited by Klaus1989; 02-28-2009, 09:15 PM. Reason: Better Photo

I was told that this is Zoll dress tunic from late 1960s-early 70s. Not sure of rank because it does not match anything I have seen. Closest is Finanzanwärter but those collar tabs have green, not silver trim. Unfortunately no maker or stamps anywhere in tunic.

Lining:

Comment

This is supposed to be Zoll service jacket. Apparently worn by customs officials that checked papers at the border. Styled like civilian suit coat with "ZOLL" breast patch. Rank insignia was not worn on this uniform. Probably from early 1970s but undated.

Liner - inner pocket have zippers and there is spare button sewn on liner:

Maker is Uniformfabrik F. Fiedler, Schaffhausen:
      Last edited by Klaus1989; 02-28-2009, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Here is an unusual find - a Zoll work/field jacket (Arbeitsjacke) made of lightweight material that is mottled tan-green up close but looks olive at distance. Pleated pockets and cloth half-liner. No insignia appears to have been worn on this. No stamps or maker label but I would guess this from late 1960s (early 1970s at latest).

Liner:
        Last edited by Klaus1989; 02-28-2009, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Last up is Zoll short sleeve summer shirt. Light green colour with plastic buttons. Label reads "seidensticker sportswear." Once again, no date (Zoll must not like to put dates on uniforms!). 1970s or possibly even 1980s issue?

Comment

Klaus - Thanks for posting the Zoll uniform pictures. The lightweight uniform (post #4) is very interesting. From the picture it looks like it could "join the Afrika Korps" very easily....

Thanks again - TJ

Comment

Klaus,

Nice collection of Zoll uniforms. As you say, an overlooked area of uniform collecting but an interesting one. I took this photo from a web site that identified it as BRD Water Zoll.

Regards,

Gordon
              Attached Files

Comment

Klaus,

A few more things to add from my archives on the BRD Zoll. First a partial pictures of a Zoll female member in uniform. Sorry for the poor pictures. They are expanded versions of pictures from an old ZOLL web site that I printed out.

Regards,

Gordon
                Attached Files

Comment

A picture of the ID disk carried by officers of the Customs Investigation Office. These people usually wear civilian clothes and thus need to produce proof of their status. I've been loking for one of these for some time! Sorry for the colour! I printed this info on pink paper.

Regards,

Gordon
                  Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Klaus!

Comment

If anyone can help identify these uniforms, let me know. Any photos of Zoll from 1960s-'70s (or 1950s as well)? That would help.

regards
                      Klaus

Comment

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
                        I was told that this is Zoll dress tunic from late 1960s-early 70s. Not sure of rank because it does not match anything I have seen. Closest is Finanzanwärter but those collar tabs have green, not silver trim. Unfortunately no maker or stamps anywhere in tunic.
                        Klaus

Those tabs appears to be Bavarian Landespolizei (.1976). There would have been a device affixed to them (bar or stars), but I guess it is possible someone just took blank tabs and affixed them to a tunic.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Huntzman View Post
                          Klaus

Those tabs appears to be Bavarian Landespolizei (.1976). There would have been a device affixed to them (bar or stars), but I guess it is possible someone just took blank tabs and affixed them to a tunic.

Andrew
                          Is the tunic Bayern Polizei as well? It is rather green. Seems silly to put such collar tabs on Zoll tunic, considering how uncommon they are, so it may very well not be Zoll.

regards
                          Klaus

Comment

Klaus

Mystery solved. It is an obsolete Bavarian tunic. The rank is for Polizeikommissar/anwarter (circa 64-75).

Andrew

Comment

I'm dusting off this thread to add some Zoll examples from my collection. As far as I know all these items were used by the same Zoll officer.

Field jacket of the same style as Klaus' below:

Service jacket:

Another type of service jacket. This one has silver bullion ZOLL badge on it:

Shirt and two neckties. I am not sure about the one on the left, but I'm pretty sure the one on the right was to be used with the jacket posted directly above.

Armless v-neck sweater:

Turtleneck sweater:

Unfortunately I have no trousers or hats in my collection. Does anybody know what the trousers looked like for any of these three uniforms? Collecting Zoll stuff is not part of what I do. These items came to me along with a fairly larger purchase of Polizei items.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X