Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veterans organization hat?

Hi all,

I’m trying to identify this hat. Is it to a German veteran organization?
    Attached Files

No possible suggestions or leads?

Comment

PaulR,

I would say yes. I have one with the Kyffhäuserbund emblem, in silver, in the same location as your cap. No stars on mine.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

PaulR,

Here some pictures of my post WWII German veterans cap. I can not locate the organization that your hat belongs to but the iron cross and the wreath re certainly common insignia for these kinds of organizations. I'd say from the name on the tag and the hair pins on the interior of this schiffchen that it was worn by a woman.

Regards,

Gordon
        Attached Files

Comment

The type of flap (with the overlap slanting downward diagonally) and the design of the stars are quite "un-German"; they look more American to me. Still, from the Iron Cross it is clear that there is some German connection there.

My gut feeling is that it is a cap for a German-American Veterans' group based in the USA.

(A number of such organisations existed in the inter-war period, like the Kriegerbund, the Hindenburg Club, the German Legion and even local groups of the Kyffhäuserbund and the Stahlhelmbund.)

Comment

Gordon's Cap is a typical German Side Cap with the Badge of the Kyffhäuserbund.
            Paul's is indeed a very untypical Style for a German Cap.
            What does the inside looks like?

Comment

Paul,

Two more examples for your consideration in your quest to identify this cap. I saw one similar in a recent auction so saved pictures of it. In the auction it was listed as belonging to a Colonial Veterans unit. I can not vouch for its authenticity.

Regards,

Gordon
              Attached Files

Comment

Paul,

A veterans visor cap with a similar cap badge but in metal and it appears to be from the Bundeswehr era. I have never been able to trace what unit wore this hat.

Regards,

Gordon
                Attached Files

Comment

Thank you all so very much. How many veterans orgs do they have?

Comment

# 7 is a cap of the German Legion, one of the German veterans' organisations in the USA. (The Reichskolonialbund pin may have been added at a later time or may indicate the wearer's parallel membership in that organisation.)

# 8 is typical for the caps worn by veterans' organisations to this day. Countless different types exist, as every local club can chose its type of dress and headgear.

Originally posted by PaulR View Post
                    Thank you all so very much. How many veterans orgs do they have?
                    Literally many thousands.

Traditionally, every small town had its own Kriegerverein, but over the past few decades, their number has consistently declined and will continue to do so. The younger generations have far less interest to join clubs and associations of any kind, let alone be active in them. (All sorts of clubs have this problem, which results in overaging and a decline in membership numbers.)

The discontinuation of conscription a decade ago and the subsequent downsizing of the armed forces are another factor, as there will be less and less former servicemen to begin with.
                    Last edited by HPL2008; 05-13-2020, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X