WWI "Souvenir of Egypt" Embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI "Souvenir of Egypt" Embroidery

I found this recently and I just thought that I would post a few photographs.
    The "Souvenir of Egypt" embroidery includes the photographs of two soldiers, one in uniform and one wounded, perhaps taken in hospital. The family history is that they were brothers. I think that the solider in uniform is with the Dorset Regiment. Alas, no names to go with the embroidery. The size is about 29 by 30 inches overall.
    Attached Files

Looks more like the "Somerset Light Infantry".

Marc

Comment

Nice example and great displat piece. They turn up on a regular basis here and ive had a few from naval and army examples, quite a few with period photos of the serving soldier to send home to mum etc. At the moment im looking at a framed RFC version by my feet were i just havent found a space on the wall for it. That can be a problem with these, the size
      p.s. even found one a couple of years back still folded and wrapped in its tissue packaging that it was brought home in, condition was mint

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff View Post
        Looks more like the "Somerset Light Infantry".

Marc

Thanks, Marc.

Comment

Interesting souvenir as I'm not familiar with a 3-crescent Ottoman flag and that the two flags are displayed together makes one wonder about the meaning as it wasn't exactly a friendly relationship if I recall correctly.

Comment

The 3 crescent flag was the Flag of the Khedivate of Egypt (1881–1914) and of the Sultanate of Egypt (1914–1922).

Comment

Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

A very good example, I have a similar one for the Welsh from the Boer war period, as the colours do not have the south africa battle honours on it, it is specifically for the welsh being 41st foot, rather than a generic example such as this one

Comment

I belong to a living history group which portrays a Canadian Army Medical Corps unit and our Matron is a skilled and tireless researcher. So, we have discovered that sewing was one of the activities which soldiers were encouraged to do while convalescing.

This is a lovely example of someone's work over many, many hours and not just a casbah-purchased souvenir. I'd even bet [a small amount] that it was made by one of the two men pictured. Probably not the one with his arm in a sling!

Comment

As mentioned in my previous post, RFC example still in its period frame, the naval one was found many years ago in a local tip with some paperwork and a photo of his boat and lastly a few not very P.C. post cards called ''scenes of Egypt'', hope you find them of interest
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X