Belsen Visit, 20/5/45.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belsen Visit, 20/5/45.

The son of the RAF who took the photos veteran brought these in to me yesterday, apparently he was in a group of British personnel who visited the camp on the 20th of May. The most interesting item to me is the note that was given out to each individual during the visit
    Attached Files

Oblivious I'm the only one finding this of interest

Comment

I have never see an orginal of this handout. Though the content has been reprinted (mostly in part) in a number of places.

From what I undersand the orginal handout was propogated to those assigned to the inital occupation and follow on troops after the camp was cleard. It was used as a handout to visitors after that.

The photos are not offical but orginals taken very soon after the clearing of the camp I would say in the summer of 45 as by fall 45 most of other parts of the camp where leveled by then

Comment

We (the RAMC) had Josef Kramer's desk in the regimental museum at Keogh Bks in the 80s. I do not know what happened to it.

As an aside, just up the road was Mytchett House where Rudolf Hess was kept - during which time he leapt off the balcony there. We had to patrol up there during 'stag' and check the safe!

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
          I have never see an orginal of this handout. Though the content has been reprinted (mostly in part) in a number of places.

From what I undersand the orginal handout was propogated to those assigned to the inital occupation and follow on troops after the camp was cleard. It was used as a handout to visitors after that.

The photos are not offical but orginals taken very soon after the clearing of the camp I would say in the summer of 45 as by fall 45 most of other parts of the camp where leveled by then

Thanks for the reply, photos are dated ,20/5/45, two days after the printing of the handout

Comment

Interesting and historical pieces you have there!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X