unknown british bayo found today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unknown british bayo found today

new from this morning fleamarket a nice british bayo . have it never see and at home looking my books from PAUL KIESLING and it is not present on it.
    scabard marked with W D arow crown 70 E 95
    bayo marked SANDERSON SHEFFIELD crown S or E dificult to read and 76 .
    lenght 425 mm with oil hole in the grip.
    thanks for all info on this bayo .
    Attached Files

q
    Attached Files

Comment

k
      Attached Files

Comment

Is it an optical illusion . Is that a blood groove or a ridge running down the middle of the shortened blade? Rob
        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Possibly this: Britain introduced the SMLE rifle in 1903. With it they issued the standard 12" bladed double edged knife bayonet similar to that of the 12" blade style of the Lee Metford and Long Lee Enfield Rifle Bayonet which was known as the pattern 1903 or P-1903 bayonet.

I don't think it's a Lee Metford [rare], though those were made by Sanderson, as the hilt looks wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
            Possibly this: Britain introduced the SMLE rifle in 1903. With it they issued the standard 12" bladed double edged knife bayonet similar to that of the 12" blade style of the Lee Metford and Long Lee Enfield Rifle Bayonet which was known as the pattern 1903 or P-1903 bayonet.

I don't think it's a Lee Metford [rare], though those were made by Sanderson, as the hilt looks wrong.
            Correct,

Ptn 1903, for SMLE Mk1 and apparently substitute standard for SMLE Mk111.

Blade and guard as per long lee/metford but as stated above the hilt was more of a refined and probably expensive shape.

As the SMLE became shorter they wanted to maintain the "reach" hence the longer 1907 Bayonet we are mostly familiar with.
            What I was not aware of was the 07 Ptn was designed from a batch of Arisaka bayonets purchased for the RN.

Comment

I believe many of these were converted from 1888 patterns keeping the same scabbard. This would explain the earlier than '03 dates on it.

Comment

If i understand right this bayo is made from patern 1888 bayo.? Is it made prior 1903 ?
                Are this a rare one ?

Comment

Try Kiesling's book at page 529 #181

I think thats it.

Cooky

Comment

I should add that the page reference is from the large book 'The Complete Edition' of 'Bayonets Of the World' published in 2008, and not his earlier volumes.

Cooky

Comment

Thanks for info but my books are first éditions.
                      I think this is the reason for not finding.
                      In the next days i would sell this bayo do you
                      Have a average price for this bayo ?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X