Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI British Trench Hat/ Gor Blimey mixture

Hello all,

Picked this up today. Really odd and I cannot figure it out. Lools to be a mix of a trench cap and Gor Blimey but it is missing some details.

What I noticed is that the buttons and insignia seem to be original, the wool is moth eaten and at some please appears to have been used for other items, the leather appears to be original, the whole face shield seems to have been put on after the fact and sideways at that, the two loops are sewn together at top, and the lining stamp seems to say '15'.

It is not a current reproduction. Could be an older one? Odd all around I think. Any thoughts?
    Attached Files

Well the buttons are 2 a penny and the cap badge is also cheap I personally would expect a WW1 cap to look totally knackered not brand new. Rob
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

These caps have been copied for many years now. For me it is a fake.

Comment

They are also made for WWI reenactors.

Comment

A very definite fake. WSD (Winter Service Dress) caps did not have stitched peaks, only the later soft caps had them and this stitching is wrong even for those. It's also wrong on the neck curtain, and the KD lining is complete nonsense. No British WW1 cap ever had a lining like that. Over 40 years I have owned several original WSD caps and seen several more. They always have very small plain peaks and grey flannel linings with a circular stitch pattern. The Imperial War Museum has an example online here: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30091036. They call it 1915 which shows how much the current staff know as photos show this in use by November 1914, but at least they have photographed it inside and out.

God knows what the above fake is. It may not be a recognised current repro but the value of a real one would more than justify a faker making up a one-off copy.

Comment

Thanks all. I knew it was too good to be true but the 'in the moment' thinking dictated I spend $69. Sometimes I gamble correctly and I buy something worth a great deal but alas, this is not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by THATGUY View Post
              Thanks all. I knew it was too good to be true but the 'in the moment' thinking dictated I spend $69. Sometimes I gamble correctly and I buy something worth a great deal but alas, this is not one of them.
              Indeed!
              It’s part of the hobby : ))))
              I don’t gamble but sometimes it seems like it

Kind regards Chay

Comment

Originally posted by upbeek View Post
                Indeed!
                It’s part of the hobby : ))))
                I don’t gamble but sometimes it seems like it

Kind regards Chay

It could have been a lot worse. You could have bought this fake, which is frighteningly close but not quite right...

https://www.tommysmilitaria.com/en-G...3#.XXterH97m1s

Does he know it's wrong? Well, it's £500-1000 less than the market value of a real one, this is not the first fake headgear item I've seen on his website (fake soft cap and helmet cover inter alia), and he's been dealing long enough to know what's what. People can draw their own conclusions; personally I'd trust this dealer about as far as I could throw Gemma Collins.

Comment

Indeed
                  One must be careful
                  British militaria is faked just like the German stuff is.

Kind regards Chay

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X