X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAF Flying Officer medals

Gentlemen
    I found these medals on Friday and I’m struggling to find information,
    In the estate was air gunner badges and the modern bomber command medal.
    I found partial details I think he was VR and his photo.
    Name HG Harris Flying Officer rank

Kind regards Chay
    Attached Files

Flying officer Henry Gordon Harris! He's in the 1953 coronation rolls so he's entitled to that medal! His number on the London gazette is 52625 and there seems to be a few notes for him there in the gazette!great set of medals

Comment

There's a George Henry Harris in the RAF on the 1937 rolls but no Henry Gordon Harris on the rolls! So more looking needed for his 37 medal(the second last medal in the medal set!)

Comment

And even more interesting is he was court martialed out of the service in 1960!!!!!!

Comment

Wow!
          Thank you!
          Very interesting indeed a fascinating character!
          Here’s a photo I found of him and you found his name magnificent

Kind regards Chay
          Attached Files

Comment

No problem glad to help!did you find the reason for this court marshal? haven't found anything myself!

Comment

Unfortunately no information
              I was assuming the fellow in the photograph was HG Harris but I could be wrong,
              I wasn’t able to get the entire estate but included was the modern bomber command medal and 2 AG badges. Basically the lot came from a house clearance.
              I emailed an RAF internet site which responded quickly and confirmed what you found that he was court marshalled.
              It would be interesting to know more about his Africa and Italy service as well as Palestine.
              Having ones medals mounted by Spink must mean he was at some point very proud of them.

Kind regards Chay

Comment

Here’s a photo of VR GH Harris
                Wrong one
                Attached Files

Comment

Very nice set altogether! And your right he must have been fairly proud of his medals! I really want to find out why he was court marshaled?must have been something very serious!

Comment

Here’s an example of court martial punishment from nowadays
                    For Harris it could explain the demotion from Flight lieutenant to Flying Officer?

Quote from the internet
                    RAF officer who served in Afghanistan is facing a court martial over claims he stole £35 worth of sweets and soft drinks from an officers' mess
                    Flight Lieutenant Jordan Polonijo is alleged to have stolen from RAF Waddington
                    He pleaded not guilty to theft at a preliminary hearing at Catterick Garrison
                    If found guilty, Polomijo may be demoted or penalised with a hefty fine

Kind regards Chay

Comment

Comparable rank
                      Attached Files

Comment

Gentlemen
                        I have just heard from a very trusted and interesting source that the RAF is extremely twitchy on any matters of dishonesty!
                        The mystery continues
                        His service must have continued beyond 1952 and he proudly had Spink Mount the medals!

Kind regards Chay

Comment

Here his gazette entry looks like he was dismissed from the RAF at the end of 1959
                          Attached Files

Comment

I still can't find his entry for the 1937 entry for his 37 medal!wonder (and it's just speculation on my part) was it for something like that!!

Comment

I wonder,
                              The court marshal could have been for anything I’m not saying Harris was a petty thief I’m just drawing attention to the super strict nature of the RAF.

Kind regards Chay

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X