Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commonwealth uniforms set used by a belgian soldier

Hello,

I picked this unifom up this morning from a local fleamarket. Obviously, this is a battledress and a pair of trousers from the commonwealth. It has belgian buttons and insignia is from a belgian lieutenant.
    From the stamp, I think it's not brittish nor canadian. The marking says VDS 1945 and a big 8 wich means the size (I suppose).

Does anybody know from with country the set comes from ?

Many thanks, Pierre
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
      The uniform was made in Belgium in 1945. The Belgian army normally used old British and Canadian Batlledresses until the late '40s.
      In 1945 they also produced some look-alike BD with Belgian buttons. Until now I only saw them in use by officers. The were only made in 1945.

Comment

Hello,
        Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated. So I understand that it was made by the belgian army ? For belgian soldiers just after the war or during the last months of the war when Belgium was liberated ?
        Strange to think that Belgium made uniforms just after its liberation but I know that they made canteens and messtins for the US army.
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Fsoq View Post
          Hello,
          Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated. So I understand that it was made by the belgian army ? For belgian soldiers just after the war or during the last months of the war when Belgium was liberated ?
          Strange to think that Belgium made uniforms just after its liberation but I know that they made canteens and messtins for the US army.
          Thanks
          Thats correct! Indeed they used it the last months of the war and until the late '40's. They also produced british berets and othe stuff for the allies. The war was not over end 1944 and Belgium wanted to help their allies with producing.
          Also a number of brigades and battalions were raised to help.

Comment

Coloured collar tabs weren't used since 1948.
            This grade is a senior captain infantry.

Kind regards,
            Nick

Comment

Thank you guy. Have learned something new. Sunday, I spoke with a belgian collector who told me the same story
              The set will be for sale. Just drop me a PM.
              Thanks

Comment

The colour is too pale to be Canadian, which is much greener, or British, I think, if you needed one more clue! Belgian local made sounds right. A nice [rare-ish] piece!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X