British petroleum spirit can 1940 in German service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British petroleum spirit can 1940 in German service

I have bought very interesting can. It is W arrow D 1940 marked. At the bottom marked Valor 1 40. It must be maker's name and date of production. On sides were some numbers, probably British military code 15140, denoting to which unit this can belonged to. Germans marked it: Glysantin Frostschutz mittel 9 Ltr Heer. It is anti Freezing liquid. Unfortunately closing cap is missing.
    Attached Files

Hi pzo,
    Just out of interest, Valor were a prolific British manufacturer of paraffin stoves and heaters. We always had one or two in the 1960s, prior to getting central heating, the cans for storing the paraffin were also Valor marked.
    Kerry.

Comment

Thank You Kerry. It is interesting addendum to the topic! I know something more about maker. I would like to know what is hidden behind stencilled number? Is it vehicle, unit or something else number?

Comment

Some months ago, in italy, i found this can.
        Stencilled numbers are similar to yours...
        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting that the Germans were using a captured British tin. In North Africa the Allied troops much preferred to use capture 'Gerry cans' to their own issue tins, which were notorious for leaking, whenever they could get their hands on them.

In fact, over here in N America, 'jerry can' is still a common name for gas cans.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X