Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enfield 1853 Musket - Value?

Hello Guys,

I've just been offered this British 1853 musket and just wondering what sort of price they are worth these days?. Sorry, I know the photos aren't the best (sellers photos).

Thanks in Advance

Mark

Beware these have been copied from india and Pakistan for many years. The only sure wahy to know if it is legit is cloase examination of all the proof marks that are on it.

I would not buy this from these photos. unless it was <20$
    Last edited by byterock; 07-17-2019, 06:56 AM. Reason: close look at phots

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
      Beware these have been copied from india and Pakistan for many years. The only sure wahy to know if it is legit is cloase examination of all the proof marks that are on it.

I would not buy this from these photos. unless it was <20$
      Sound advice but, if it is is good the price depends on the markings. If it was imported during the War Between the States there is a premium. I saw one with a serial number range that went South go for $850.00 USD a few months ago.

Comment

Quality looks good . But a close of of the lock plate and markings is vital. Rob
        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB View Post
            Quality looks good . But a close of of the lock plate and markings is vital. Rob
            Hey Rob, Photo of the lock uploaded. The seller says there is the numbers of 2617 on the musket.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by DALE ELLIS View Post
              Sound advice but, if it is is good the price depends on the markings. If it was imported during the War Between the States there is a premium. I saw one with a serial number range that went South go for $850.00 USD a few months ago.
              Hi Dale,

It has which I presume a serial number of 2617.

Mark

Comment

Well it looks to have been pitted and heavily cleaned yet the markings seem crisp. I did a google search and could not find one the same as yours , but then most were different. The Afghanis make fantastic repos. Without holding it smelling it feeling it looking at it closely I dont think I could make a call. Rob
                God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

A photo of the rear sight will help

Comment

Originally posted by Mauser View Post
                    Hi Dale,

It has which I presume a serial number of 2617.

Mark
                    No 1853 model “Enfields” were serial numbered. There were about 30,000 1861- early 62 commercial made Confederate purchased and Confederate agent inspected 53s that had accountability numbers engraved on the buttplate tang and a few thousand Georgia bought 53s that had a accounting number stamped on the flat of the buttplate......all of this post factory applied and used in conjunction with other agent applied markings, so a faker has to know his stuff to get it close to right but then so does the buyer!

A REAL CS “blockade” marked Enfield will start at around 4K and can easily go up to 8k and higher depending on a series of characteristics present.

Lastly there are other Enfields marked with unit numbers and rack numbers by a host of British and commonwealth units along with Volunteer and territorial units.

Victorian era Enfield series muzzleloaders make the study of k98k look pretty simple.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I think I will pass on this one.

Comment

Damn, I reckon I should have bought the one I saw instead of telling my buddy who bought it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X