Unknown Dress Jacket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Dress Jacket.

I have had this ‘Coat’ for about 35 odd years. I first thought it may have been a theatrical prop, but now I am convinced that it is an authentic British something or other as it has been very well made. The metal braid is of good quality and it is completely lined with a quilted inner. It is very very old. In poor condition, but has been much loved by me to the point that I just could not throw it out.

I have just only now, all this time later decided to look at the brass buttons. Which read......., ”Firmin - London”
    Could this have been something that a Royal servant wore. Perhaps during 1830-40.? Or is it a Military Dress Jacket?

I can see that this a very quiet/lonely part of the forum, but any information about this “coat/jacket” would be much appreciated
    Thanks, Helene
    Attached Files

The style looks like British or Imperial cavalry, mid to late 19th century or even later if it is a full dress/mess dress tunic. The scalloping on the front is very unusual and reminds me, vaguely, of the tunics worn by a few of the British Indian Army units where the British officers wore an 'alkalak' style tunic instead of the more usual British lancer style. The braid looks a bit fancy for theatre, unless its very old.

My tuppence worth.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Helene View Post
      Could this have been something that a Royal servant wore.
      These were my first thoughts Helene (welcome BTW), looks like a footmans' jacket.

Comment

The Olde Coat

Thanks Peter and Seigfried. Nice to get a reply. I have heaps of British Militaria with my German collection. It flows freely here in Australia.
        Regards Helene

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X