Researching a WWII RAF Officer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Researching a WWII RAF Officer

This tailored uniform is named to a "Squadron Leader Baker", whose ribbons include the military division of the Order of the British Empire, as well as the Air Crew Europe Star (with rosette) and the 1939-1945 War Medal with oak leaf for "Mentioned in Dispatches" or some citation for action.

Is there any chance that this officer, with an unfortunately common name, can be researched?
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!
    Attached Files

Bill,

I'm not sure if the situation with British service records has changed but years ago I found it impossible to research due to security/privacy concerns. Strangely this is completely at odds with the ready access to Australian records via our National Archives.

Regarding the decorations, I once trawled through the on-line London Gazettes and found a few citations and dates of awards for a particular fellow. Regrettably, it's a painstaking exercise.

My experience was around 20 years ago so now things might be different.

Good luck.

Mike

Comment

Thanks, Mike!
      I appreciate the thoughts and information.

Comment

Hi Bill,

I’m convinced your uniform belonged to 86835 A/Wing Commander Harry Ralph Baker RAFVR. Most of the the wartime OBE’s were awarded in the Queen’s Birthday honours list in 1946 - Harry Ralph is the only Baker in the RAF on the list.

A quick search has gathered the below links. More digging, I reckon, would prove fruitful.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...ge/36/data.pdf
        https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../5442/data.pdf
        https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../4266/data.pdf

Comment

if you can figure out his squadron too and no doubt he flew missions, you can check RAF "Records Of Events" month by month at the Kew Archives (UK) they cost a fee to download,
          will give you info on raid, crew, success or failure etc....

Comment

If you are sure of the man's name you can apply to the MOD for his service record. However you must supply a death certificate and there is a fee of £30 to be paid. Also if he died less than 25 years ago they will only supply limited information.

Comment

Gentlemen:
              Thanks so VERY much for your information, for your guidance and for your assistance!
              Tom, that was a particularly impressive display of pulling a rabbit out of a hat!!!
              I am grateful to all of you for your help in restoring an identity to the uniform of what was obviously a very brave airman!

Bill

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X