South Africa Button Compass by Firmin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Africa Button Compass by Firmin

It is a while since I have bought a button compass and am aware that there are fakes and copies about. This one is South Africa "ex unite vires", manufactured by Firmin, the compass itself is similar to a "swinger compass", but not the typical pattern that you would find in a button compass. The method of unscrewing is anti clockwise and the top section that removes is also shallower than I have seen previously, the threads are different too. In having said this, I quite like it, but really am unsure if it is authentic or otherwise. Opinions appreciated.
    Attached Files

A further image that shows the joining section between the two parts.
    Attached Files

Comment

That is a very unusual compass.

Although I have not seen a similar one & there are aspects of it that would usually make me wonder. My gut feeling is that it is a good one. Mainly based on the fact that it doesn't look artificially aged & 99% of all the fakes are RAF ones done in a totally different way.

Only thing I am not keen on is the polish residue on the inside.

A great addition to the collection.

Comment

Many thanks for your comments. I will definitely be cleaning off the inside polish residue, regards, Clive.

Originally posted by welrod_man View Post
        That is a very unusual compass.

Although I have not seen a similar one & there are aspects of it that would usually make me wonder. My gut feeling is that it is a good one. Mainly based on the fact that it doesn't look artificially aged & 99% of all the fakes are RAF ones done in a totally different way.

Only thing I am not keen on is the polish residue on the inside.

A great addition to the collection.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X