Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine detector No3 (Polish)

Hi to all,

I finally found a Britis mine detector no3.

Does anyone has an idea of value? I have never seen one for sale.
    I just want to know if I did well :-)
    The no3 Polish detector is much more rare than the no4 and the no4A.

I am missing the spare lamps. Does someone know the right model?
    I have headphones and the small detector part somewhere in my collection who is mostely in boxes for the moment. Still working on the new museum...

Does someone have a no3 detector? I don't see much pictures on the net. I would love to see more.
    Attached Files

What a nice set, it looks great! As an ex-sapper and post army humanitarian Mine action professional i always love seeing these, as well as all other demo and mine clearance equipment on this forum!

Comparing to modern day technology these were very limited though with regards to the highest sensitivity of the day for the worst thing they were looking for, example: AP glass mines protecting an abbatis on a road or other obstacle then mixed with areas where there was already a lot of frag in the ground or the mines were around the AT mines signature. As they say its not always the fixed bayonet that leads the first wave its the trip wire feeler (and mine detector/prodder). You might want to look up info on the T-breach, it was the shape of the team who were breaching into minefields etc, shoulder to shoulder and in echelon with various tasks in that shape- under fire often and in the dark! That detector gave confidence to keep going forward, as they do now. Really nice to see it!

Best Regards,

Pete

Comment

Thanks Pete!

Comment

Am I the only one here with a polish detector?

Comment

Ive seen a few for sale over the years, they are nice pieces but I think storage was just the issue for me

Comment

Guys pardon me for asking because i just don't know about these regards to a an MOD item of the time being "Polish"...

Does that mean it was issued with Polish Instructions for issue to Polish staffed units or for sending to Poland with equipment either war or post war? Such as the post war Demining operations?

As well just as a tip for how they should be calibrated with our modern day methods to see how it works at its best:

1. Test detector in the air with hand (not watches etc) on the special test piece included in the box on the standard testing setting noted, in a previous cleared metal free area in the ground (flat with no rocks and no vegetation, and not near any interference) you will use it in, or just dig out a 1m square and fill with clean sand. This just makes sure the detector works. They didn't have ground compensation then as far as i know so theres nothing you can do about mineralized soil conditions or interference from interference sources- electromagnetic fields etc. If they did have ground compensation, just dont compensate out the test target of the smallest item you need, make sure the ground has no metal pieces in it at all first and make sure the smallest item is not in the compensation pit. One pit should be a compensation pit and one more the target pit for point (2). Sweep the detector only at the speed they say to (i.e how many meters or inches/feet per second) and the correct sweep height from the ground surface.

2. Test detector on the smallest item thats being looked for at 20cm, such as the smallest most minimum metal fuse thats present in the area (conceptually just imagine minimum metal AP fuses with only a tiny pin which is mixed with AT mines). Some countries is even 13cm which is used. This is because most mines were laid less than 10 cm. I haven't got into sneaky tactics and or why you sometimes have to search several meters deep or much more by various methods.

3. Note how detector behaves. It may detect even on offsets with certain items. As well a small signal may be a deep bigger one. There are a lot of other things but i wont list them here.

Pest Regards,

Pete
            Last edited by pete; 10-11-2018, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X