The Last ones are gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Last ones are gone

With over 100+ years of service life the .303 SMLE is finally out of Canadain minitary inventory.

The final Ranger unit took delivery of the C-17 (a bolt action Finnish sporting rifle) yesterday marking the offical end of the SMLE in Canadain service.

There are still a bunch of .22 inserts about but most of those are in cadet and or range clubs.

Thanks for that info, interesting milestone. I can remember seeing on the Army computer for logistics of NSNs that No4T was still listed, at least in the 90s.

Best Regards,

Pete

Comment

I believe the cadet Lee Enfields are to be retired for the same reasons as the ones the Rangers carried: spare parts are too hard to access reliably. Many collectors here in Canada have asked for a chance to buy examples of either/both and I believe that DND may actually allow that, in recognition of the historic nature of this change.

BTW, I liked to twit my American friends with the fact that while they have the DEW Line - radar bases, Arctic outposts, etc - Canada had 300 guys who each get a ball cap, a sweatshirt, a 70 year old rifle and 100 rounds of ammo a year. A real bargain!

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
        I believe the cadet Lee Enfields are to be retired for the same reasons as the ones the Rangers carried: spare parts are too hard to access reliably. Many collectors here in Canada have asked for a chance to buy examples of either/both and I believe that DND may actually allow that, in recognition of the historic nature of this change.

BTW, I liked to twit my American friends with the fact that while they have the DEW Line - radar bases, Arctic outposts, etc - Canada had 300 guys who each get a ball cap, a sweatshirt, a 70 year old rifle and 100 rounds of ammo a year. A real bargain!

Comment

We spent some time with the Rangers, -40 to -50+ and just great guys...few words, only action!

That's the only time i ever saw somebody fire at 400- to even 600m with iron sights knocking down drop plates!....and in the snow too!

Best Regards,

Pete

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X