White Ensign - HMS New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Ensign - HMS New Zealand

Here's an item I never expected to have in my possession... While back home in NZ a few weeks ago, I stumbled across a large flag in an antique shop in the wilds of Taranaki. An information sheet said it was the white ensign of HMS New Zealand, a Royal Navy battleship paid for by New Zealand and which saw action in WW1. There was no price, so I assumed it was for display only. The owner said he had picked it up in auction and asked me if I was interested in it, to which I said I had no idea of price. How about NZ$350? he asked. Which is why I now have a 7'x15' naval flag in my possession.

Supposedly, it came from a now defunct museum - which is what the info sheet indicates. It certainly looks of the right age and scale for a WW1 battleship. Here's the link to a some info on the ship: http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/schol...H2Navy-a7.html. It was a very lucky ship, taking part in all three of the major North Sea battles (Heligoland Bight, Dogger Bank and Jutland) and yet sustaining no casualties.

It would be good to hear your thoughts and comments - particularly if there is any suggestion that it is not what it is supposed to be!

Thanks,
    Michael
    Attached Files

Some more pictures.
    Attached Files

Comment

Imo ...

Originally posted by Lutfen View Post
      ... white ensign of HMS New Zealand, ... NZ$350
      ... 7'x15' ... from a now defunct museum - WW1 ...
      Michael
      Hello Michael:
      IMO, a very nice flag, especially at the
      price paid. Has vintage looking material &
      construction, & desired header markings.
      Last edited by oldflagswanted; 05-05-2018, 08:59 PM.
      sigpic
      .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Hi Michael,
        It would be unlikely that your flag was flown on HMS New Zealand as these are all accounted for, but some flags were presented from the ship in 1913 to various personalities and in 1919 to some Wellington schools, so if you can prove a connection to them then you have a winner, if not you have a nice story.

Brent
        Last edited by BrentNunns; 05-05-2018, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks to OFW and BrentNunns for the feedback. The fact that there were versions gifted in 1913 would explain a lot, so I’ll dig deeper along these lines.

As an aside, I picked up some photos locally, in Cambridgeshire, a year or two back that probably show HMS New Zealand and other naval vessels in the Bay of Islands, NZ. I had been initially drawn to the photos due to the very familiar scenery and not the naval content. I’ll have to dig them out and see if there are any more clues to the date and also the identity of the ships.

Regards,
          Michael

Comment

Perfect flag

Would love to have that in my collection

Lee

Comment

Thanks Lee. It is very striking and the likely link to a key battleship helps. Although I don’t normally buy naval items, this one appealed to my patriotic side! I will be looking after it very carefully for the foreseeable future.

Cheers,
              Michael

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X