Map reading gadget. Commonwealth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Map reading gadget. Commonwealth?

Has anyone ever seen something like this before? With the use of a large amount of brass for something like this, I would guess it is from a Commonwealth country. What would your thoughts be?

JL
    Attached Files

It is called a Romer. I haven't seen one like this before will check a few sites to see if I can come up with a match

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
      It is called a Romer. I haven't seen one like this before will check a few sites to see if I can come up with a match
      And it is for map reading, take it, Bytrock?

Just the sort of pointy metal object I'd want to have in a pocket if I were flying, or running aropund being shot at as a grunt!

Comment

Oh one other thing. It is curved which I think it would me used more for map-making vs map-reading. Normally a rhomer is used in conjunction with a mercator projection this one might be ment for a true projection or perhaps for use in far north or south latitudes where distortions to the projection become acute at such a large scale.

Comment

Considering it has two scales inscribed on one side, and one on the back, I think it is quite clear this is for map reading of some sort.
          I have found these in the past, but they were always straight. I dont understand why this one is curved, particularly since it is meant for reading large scale maps. Where on earth would you need to have some sort of curved correction over a one kilometer distance?
          It is a battlefield find, so something for sure used at the front. The comments about prickliness is however to the point.
          Would the use of meters instead yards perhaps indicate a non commonwealth origin? I also dont see a War Office arrow anywhere.

JL

Comment

Hi Jean-Loup

Here's a version of the tool that's definitely German WW2 in origin, from amongst the the maps and map-reading tools of an artillery officer. The attached item may be used with maps of 4 different scales (1:100,000, 1:80,000, 1:75,000, 1:25,000), depending on which edge you use. The item you have displayed may be used for maps of 2 scales - 1:25,000 and 1:50,000.

I have seen the brass version before, but with no provenance to confirm which forces used them. And no, I don't know for certain how this item is used but had assumed it was for measuring distances, rather than for drawing.

Regards,
            Michael
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting that. With the design being almost identical, I wonder if mine could also perhaps be German? There are no Waffenamt type markings though, which would seem surprising...

JL

Comment

Here's something similar, selling on eBay and supposedly from a German bunker in the Stalingrad area.

Michael
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting.

JL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X