Finding the name possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding the name possible?

I bought this mini medal bar a couple of days ago and I was wondering whether it is possible to find out the name of the recipient?
    There can't be too many soldiers of the Boer War with two DCMs. The ribbons came loose from the clasp but I am as sure as one can be that this is the original combination.
    Attached Files
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Hi Dietrich

a quick search turned up this:

During the Boer War, 6 dated second award bars were issued. Of these, three recipients won their first DCM in the Boer War. The recipients were:

Andrews, 3502 Sergeant Frank Leon, 9th Lancers & 2nd Battalion Imperial Yeomanry. DCM LG 27 Sep 01, Bar LG 21 Apr 03, dated '27th September 1901', OBE LG 3 Jun 19.
    Crampion, 1313 Private C, 2nd Norfolk Regiment. DCM, 16 Oct 1889 for Upper Burma, Bar LG '29 March 1900' for Karee Sidings.
    Crookes, 4691 Staff Sergeant F, RAMC. DCM for Omdurman 2 Sep 98, bar 'February 1900' for Paardeberg LG 19 Apr 01.
    May, 25417 Corporal T J, 38th Field Company Royal Engineers. DCM LG 26 Jun 1902, Bar LG 21 Apr 03. Bar dated '1st July 1901'.
    Smith, 16821 Sergeant G, 24th Company Royal Engineers. DCM for Crete LG, 7 Mar 99, Bar dated 'January 1901' LG 27 Sep 1901 for South Africa.
    Worthing, 9738 Colour Sergeant Harry Evans, 4th Rifle Brigade. Bar dated '8th June 1901' DCM LG 26 Jul 1901, Bar LG 11 Mar 1902, for capture of Boer convoy at Rooival 8 Jun 1901. Miniature group to Worthing shown below (courtesy of DNW).

regards

macleod

Comment

The miniature should still have a dated bar for the second award not a rosette which was for use with the ribbon when worn without medals.

Granted, this may have been used due to lack of availability of dated bar however, such would have been the importance of a second award I doubt the owner would have done this. Equally, simple for a collector to add to enhance the status of the bar.

Nevertheless a wonderful little bar which went for a good price and one that I very nearly pulled the trigger on as well.

Below is a picture of Worthings miniature DCM of the same period with the correct (1901) dated bar (credit: DNW).
      Attached Files
      Last edited by SiPo; 03-18-2018, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Thanks!
        That is a nice bar! Thanks for showing! These minis are just great!
        Dietrich
        B&D PUBLISHING
        Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Totally agree Dietrich.

The quality of Victorian and pre Victorian minis is superb.

I'm lucky enough to have a genuine Victorian issue miniature Victoria Cross.

Sadly, unattributed but a beautiful medal with hand engraving.

Comment

SiPo can you show us your mini VC I like the minis too

Comment

Lovely little mimi bar with 2 Reliefs ! Rob
              God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

For John.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hand engraved scroll.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunately, that is a George V DCM. He wasn't on the throne at the time of the Boer War, Victoria and Edward VII were.

The recipient possibly could only find a George V miniature DCM, or the set is a mock-up made of original miniatures. The DCM wouldn't have a rosette it would have a bar to denote that recipient was awarded it twice

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X