WW2 Canadian Mk1 Helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 Canadian Mk1 Helmet?

Hello guys the Miss's picked up this one at a flea market on Saturday. I believe from what I have researched is that its a MK1 Canadian WW2 Helmet. Appears to have a sand texture to the paint, original liner but missing chinstrap. Inside I can read scratched into it some numbers and initials of a name D.Coy and Brockville Rifles. Any idea where this might have been used? Is it a good helmet? She gave 45.00 for it, the guy had British Helmet on his tag. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I did find this info on the web.

The Brockville Rifles was not immediately mobilized in 1939 and many Brocks volunteered for active service units in the First and Second Divisions. When the Third Division was formed in May of 1940, B Company of the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, who fought with great distinction from the Normandy landings until the final defeat of Germany, was recruited exclusively from The Brockville Rifles. The Regiment was finally mobilized on 18 March 1942 as the 1st Battalion, The Brockville Rifles, part of the Eighth Division which served on both the east and west coasts of Canada. A 2nd, reserve, Battalion remained in Brockville. In 1943 another complete company was sent to the Rocky Mountain Rangers and they participated in the recapture from the Japanese of the Aleutian island of Kiska. In July 1944 the 1st Battalion was sent to Jamaica and garrisoned that island until 1946.

Comment

The Brockville Rifles are actually quite a senior regiment of the Canadian reserve forces [militia], taking their precednce from the old 1 & 2 Leeds Militia Battalions of 1812-15. They continue to exist and members served with the Cf in Aghanistan.

From Wiki:

"The regiment mobilized the 1st Battalion, The Brockville Rifles, CASF on 18 March 1942. It served in Canada in a home defence role as part of the 13th Infantry Brigade, 6th Canadian Division, and in Jamaica on garrison duty from 5 August 1944 to 27 March 1946. The battalion was disbanded on 30 April 1946.

The regiment provided No. 2 Company of The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, CASF for active service on 24 May 1940."

Comment

65 views and no opinions. Ok.

Comment

Someone has identified the maker and it seems to be a period correct helmet, not bu**ered about. The Brockvilles didn't see action as a unit in WWII. It's conceiveable that this man from D Coy. went to the SDG Highlanders and fought in Europe or to the RM Rangers and was on Kiska, taking his original helmet. However, I'd guess that those are unlikely and that the helmet belonged to one of the 1st battalion, who garrsioned Jamaica.

The serial number - "C 80196" if I'm reading it correctly - is from the Brockville Rifles
          Brockville Rifles (Active Force) 80000 80999

Is the name legibel? That would help. Unfortunately, most WWII Cdn records are only available to next of kin, unless the man died/was killed, in which case some data is publicly accessible.

Not sure what else one can usefully say.
          Last edited by peter monahan; 03-14-2018, 07:48 AM.

Comment

I think TFX to the RM Rangers would be a good reason why it was left behind.

The Canadian units serving in the Kiska campaign used US helmets and sometimes even US weapons and webbing.

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
              Someone has identified the maker and it seems to be a period correct helmet, not bu**ered about. The Brockvilles didn't see action as a unit in WWII. It's conceiveable that this man from D Coy. went to the SDG Highlanders and fought in Europe or to the RM Rangers and was on Kiska, taking his original helmet. However, I'd guess that those are unlikely and that the helmet belonged to one of the 1st battalion, who garrsioned Jamaica.

The serial number - "C 80196" if I'm reading it correctly - is from the Brockville Rifles
              Brockville Rifles (Active Force) 80000 80999

Is the name legibel? That would help. Unfortunately, most WWII Cdn records are only available to next of kin, unless the man died/was killed, in which case some data is publicly accessible.

Not sure what else one can usefully say.
              Thanks for the info everyone!
              I don't see a name just the initials above the serial number GS. Not sure if thats someone's initials or something else.
              I know its not a great find and would not peak a lot of interest but I wanted to post it. Where I live its rare to find any kind of helmet for sale anywhere but I always look when I am out at the Antique Stores and Flea Markets and when I do find one it is a rare treat but Mary my gf found this one at a local swap meet this past Saturday, I was sleeping in. I was proud of her as she knows nothing about helmets at all, even less than I do if thats possible but we are learning. Thanks so much for taking a look and taking the time to post some info guys. I appreciate it!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X